Middlesex Regiment - Finding details on my Grandfather

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by g2_loony_bin, Jan 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking for details on my Grandfather and his service with the Middlesex Regt. I have his Regt No and approx times of service as well as where he deployed.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find out if there are any chaps who served with him and are still knocking around and if it's possible to get a detailed career history? (Last one doubtful eh...)

2. Have you been to the Veterans' site and obtained his service record from the MOD? No, wrong, start again.... Did he serve in WW1 or WW2?

The WW1 service records that survived German bombing have been microfilmed and are in the National Archives at Kew. If you have his number, you are halfway there. You need to obtain a Reader's ticket and allocate a day to the task. The Medal Rolls have been microfilmed as well, but the cards themselves have gone elsewhere. A percentage of the cards have information on the rear which was not microfilmed. Run "Medal Rolls" through Google.

WW2 records are available from the MOD through the Veterans' site, IIRC. You may have to prove that you are related.

Don't forget the War Diaries in the Archives - hard work and time consuming but you might strike lucky.

3. He actually signed on after WW2 and served in Korea and Malaya.
  4. You should be able to get a detailed record of his service from Glasgow under the data protection act if you can prove an entitlement to the info, perhaps your parents would have agreater entitlement to them. I'm sure someonnr will come up with the Glasgow address on this site.
  5. Yes please.
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

7. G2 - PM me - I'm in contact with several ex-Diehards who served in Korea with 1st Battalion,the Middlesex Regiment (DCO) . If you give me your Grandfathers details I'll ring around. :thumleft:
  8. Also if no joy there, try PWRR RHQ. It was a forebearer Regiment of the PWRR and they have the association details and so on.
  9. Army Personnel Centre
    Army Personnel Centre
    Historical Disclosures
    MP 400
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown St
    Glasgow G2 8EX
    Tel: 0845-600-9663

Try here as I got all my records including postings, PULHEEMS,courses, promotions and medical notes. It takes a while but the results are well worth it as I used information from them to get a war pension.
  10. Speak to WOII Les @ the middlesex branch of the queens reg association he is the holder of the museum stuff, and a top bloke, his email is on the PWRR website.