"Mid term reports" for recruits at weekend three

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bravo_Bravo, Sep 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What a gargantuan waste of time. Three weekends in and the DS are supposed to interview each recruit and give them a grading in about a dozen areas.

Three weekends in and in the DSs eyes, most Recruits are still an anonymous DPM blur; how on earth anything meaningful is supposed to be put down is beyond me.

ITG are bonkers if they think that this is meaningful.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Use the sorting hat...

3. Just like the rest of the TA MS process then. Who would have thought a reporting regime designed for full time soldiers would be overkill for those who do it on weekends ? Well, clearly no ****** in the Regular Army does.

And you can't even be honest when you do follow the process, apparently "keep going for another year as long as it's still fun" is not a valid objective for ones SJAR.

4. msr

msr LE

I am lead to believe it was the TA bigwigs who pushed for this.

"The TA attended not because of pensions, mobilisation opportunities or pay as such - they came in because they belonged to something of which they were proud and wanted to be part of it on an ongoing basis. There were highs and lows but overall, it was fun and rewarding." stab

m-s-r

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Easy, using the standard rule of the good, the bad and the ugly.

You have probably noticed the one or two who look like they may be up to the standard required given a lot more work - give them a big thumbs up and well done, mark their card as "suitable for combat arms".

You may have just been able to identify the one or two whose performance is so bad as to be noticably worse than the rest - give them a warning and a pretty sticker on their report card so they don't get too sad. Mark their files as "suitable for RLC".

The vast majority will be an amorphous green and brown blob with no identifiable character, spine, skills or soldiering ability of any kind. Tell them to keep on trying and mark their files as "suitable for generic PID filling to make books look better".

10 minutes, job done.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Handy cut out and keep report generator...

Officers
    - His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of curiosity.

- I would not breed from this Officer.

- This Officer is really not so much of a has-been, but more of a definitely won't-be.

- When she opens her mouth, it seems that this is only to change whichever foot was previously in there.

- He has carried out each and every one of his duties to his entire satisfaction. - He would be out of his depth in a car park puddle.

- Technically sound, but socially impossible.

- This Officer reminds me very much of a gyroscope - always spinning around at a frantic pace, but not really going anywhere.

- This young lady has delusions of adequacy.

- When he joined my ship, this Officer was something of a granny; since then he has aged considerably.

- This Medical Officer has used my ship to carry his genitals from port to port, and my officers to carry him from bar to bar.

- Since my last report he has reached rock bottom, and has started to dig.

- She sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.

- He has the wisdom of youth, and the energy of old age.

- This Officer should go far - and the sooner he starts, the better.

- In my opinion this pilot should not be authorized to fly below 250 feet.

- The only ship I would recommend this man for is citizenship.

- Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap

- This man is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.

OR's
    Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    Got into the gene pool while the lifeguard wasn't watching.
    A room temperature IQ.
    Got a full 6-pack, but lacks the plastic thingy to hold it all together.
    A gross ignoramus--144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus.
    A photographic memory but with the lens cover glued on.
    A prime candidate for natural deselection.
    Bright as Alaska in December.
    One-celled organisms out score him in IQ tests.
    Donated his body to science before he was done using it.
    Fell out of the family tree.
    Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.
    Has two brains; one is lost and the other is out looking for it.
    He is so dense, light bends around him.
    If brains were taxed, he'd get a rebate.
    If he were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week.
    If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you'd get change.
    If you stand close enough to him, you can hear the ocean.
    It's hard to believe that he beat out 1,000,000 other sperm.
    One neuron short of a synapse.
    21. Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; he only gargled.
    22. Takes him 2 hours to watch 60 minutes.
    23. Wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

7. Had one of these when at Malta Barracks. Cadre officer sits down, marks you through the boxes. Basically, if you haven't been singled out by the DS for completely monging it in any of the areas, your box is ticked and off you go. Takes less than 3 minutes (yes, really) with no oversight of whether or not your self-grading of physical fitness meets the required standard.

Even as a recruit I thought it was a bit of joke and I got the impression the officer carrying out this task was doing it because he had to rather than in any way believing in it.

8. In the same box as writing SJARs on recruits with a whole 12 days training under thier belt.

Got a snotty email from RHQ for a couple demanding where thier mid term is and why the box hasn't been ticked.

A waste of my time and the OCs who then cuts and pastes the bit I have written for him.

Hammers home the reason for having photos in the recruiting cell. If nothing else it confirms you haven't a clue who the fcuk they are.

RHQ also demanded SJARs for those that had been or were being discharged "What if they rejoin?" If they wrapped in basic or trade then tough sh1t. Anyone else I'll have a very good look at before I bother. Good eggs tend not to wrap and come back but ease off before returning to normal jogging.

IMHO no bounty (you know that minimum of training that gets you a certificate of efficiency) no SJAR as they have done feck all.

9. depending on what areas are required to be graded upon presents itself with diffulties as cadre officers are sometimes visiting instructors or have not been involved teaching those areas. The rtc has a performance monitor where instructors flag up any potential problems and these can be addressed as and when required. The formal reporting should be by exception rather than a blanket system covering every recruit on the weekend considering there could be around 50 soldiers to interview. Time is precious for training and this just adds to the admin burden.

10. Ah that explains what's gone wrong with our lot then.

11. Surely this is more of a Mid Course Reality Check for the Recruits, let them know how they are progressing.

12. Probably but I'm not sure how realistic it is - I had an end of course 'interview' with my cadre officer and I could tell he wasn't really sure who i was! Oh, the joys of being the 'Grey Man'.

13. I've been denied a years seniority because my sjar wasn't done until the year after. I understand why it wasn't done due to my "unique insight" to the unit, although that doesn't make it right. But the whole process is ridiculous, I've spent more time in apprasials admin passing reports backwards and forwards (on behalf of others) than I have sorting out my own.

And anyone that says reports aren't important for TA; wait until you're up for promotion/an FTRS job/etc etc... grumble grumble

(yes I realise it;s your responsibility to ensure your report is actioned correctly)