Mid/qcb/qvcs

Evening all,

I've a quick question and was wondering if you would indulge me? I've used the search function but to no avail.......

At a recent Mess function a few of us were talking (drunk, obviously) about oak leafs on ribbons. If someone is awarded both, or all, a MiD, QCB or QCVS for the same Operational Area then which is worn on the ribbon? I understand, I think, that multiple awards of the same one aren't shown with multiple "leafs" but what if someone was awarded say a MiD and a QCVS on HERRICK (over separate tours)?

I appreciate there are bigger issues but between the four of us chatting we had 5 of the above, just as single tour awards. We probably should have been talking about birds and that but the banter was scarce.....

Thanks in advance,

KFM

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Since they're both level 4 awards, neither takes precedent - take your pick, unless you can wear both, but I can't see any indication in regs to suggest either way.

I can think of two people I know who wear an MiD and a QCVS on the same medal. Whether they are meant to be wearing both or whether they just did it I don't know.

I am aware of a group in Lord Ashcroft's collection belonging to Major John Potter MC. He has both an MID and a QCVS on his NI GSM. But thats JP for you!

Thanks for the replies,

I've never met anyone with both, or all, and QRs didn't seem clear. Having looked up John Potter MC on Google I can see what you mean from his medal group!!! He got about a bit!!

Cheers again

KFM

WEARING OF EMBLEMS ON MEDAL RIBBONS

13. The only emblems which may be worn on a United Kingdom medal ribbon, whether the medal itself is worn or not, are:

a. The bronze oak leaf denoting a Mention-in-Despatches, Queen’s Commendation for Brave Conduct or Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air awarded prior to September 1993.

b. The silver oak leaf denoting a Mention-in-Despatches awarded since September 1993.

c. The silver laurel spray denoting a Queen’s Commendation for Bravery awarded since September 1993.

d. The silver eagle denoting a Queen’s Commendation for Bravery in the Air awarded since September 1993.

e. The silver oak leaf spray denoting a Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service.

f.The rose emblem denoting the award of a bar or clasp, or specially authorised for the South Atlantic Medal and the Operational Service Medal – Sierra Leone.

14. Only one emblem of each type is to be worn on any one ribbon. (For example, an individual who has received a QCVS for service in Northern Ireland and a further QCVS for service in Air Operations – Iraq will wear only one oak leaf spray on the ribbon of the General Service Medal 1962).

15. United Kingdom emblems may be worn on the ribbons of service medals awarded by the United Nations and NATO.

Thanks for that ....

So let's imagine someone had been awarded all three , on the same "ribbon". If a recipient wasn't wearing his or her medals, just the ribbons, then how would all fit on?

Thanks for doing a cut and paste though. It was useful.....

KFM

XPara Mugg

War Hero
So let's imagine someone had been awarded all three , on the same "ribbon". If a recipient wasn't wearing his or her medals, just the ribbons, then how would all fit on?

When I was a kid an old boy down my road was an 'Old Contemptible' and MiD. On his waistcoat (a la Uncle Albert) he wore the rosette and MiD on his '14 star ribbon on a humungous broad ribbon bar (Pip, Squeak and Wilfred). I know it was wrong. Just saying what I saw.

BTW my dad (also Old Contemptible) thought he was a c*** for doing it.

Hi - can I ask as a civilian who just got a Queen's commendation for Bravery - would you use QCB after your name ? Not sure whether its the right thing to do or seems a bit pompous? I've seen some ex military who use the initials - but just not sure - any thoughts? Thanks

ironr4tions

Old-Salt
Hi - can I ask as a civilian who just got a Queen's commendation for Bravery - would you use QCB after your name ? Not sure whether its the right thing to do or seems a bit pompous? I've seen some ex military who use the initials - but just not sure - any thoughts? Thanks
I'm pretty sure MiD, QCB and QCVS don't carry a post nominal. However I don't have one, so I can't really go slating someone who does and uses it as such.

Mr-Fingerz

Old-Salt
There are no post nominals for level 4 awards. So no you shouldn't stick QCB after your name.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using ARRSE mobile app

There are 4 - (and in order of precedence) MID, QCB, QCBA, QCVS. Could arguably stretch it to 5 with the pre-92(?) MID and the Post. But then you'd be a serious contender for 2nd Minion on the balcony...

Last edited:

Latest Threads