MiD and Rosette?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by IGACTWB, May 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, hypothetically, Serviceman X got Mentioned in Despatches during the warfighting phase of Op Telic, and so wears his Oak Leaf on the medal ribbon, with the clasp as usual.

But what about when he's only wearing the ribbon bar, without the medals? Does he wear the rosette and Oak Leaf or just the oak leaf?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, by the way!
  2. Oak Leaf only, as it is "senior" in a way, also I believe that with the full medal only the oak leaf will be worn, not both (may be wrong mind)
  3. Order of wear for both Military & Civil awards are listed on the Cabinet Office Ceremonial Site:

Contact the Cabinet Office Ceremonial Secretariat with any queries such as this at:

Ceremonial Secretariat
    Cabinet Office
    35 Great Smith Street

Telephone: 020 7276 2777
    Fax: 020 7276 2766
    E-mail: ceremonial@cabinet-office.x.gsi.gov.uk

and they always come up with an answer!
  4. the mid oak leaft superceeds the date in theatre rosette ,

in the same situation do you think a similar award should be given for GOC's awards????

i.e some kind of oak leaf to denote that you actually got a GOC ?
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Based on the fact that you got one???
  6. You wear both - oak leaf then rosette.
  7. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

I have been thinking about this of late; commendations are all very well but, at the end of the day, you've just got a piece of paper in a frame to put in the downstairs loo. It would be nice to have some way of showing this on a ribbon; I think that it could be fairly easily done in a way that would also show the level of commendation, after all, there are GOC's Commendations and Joint Commanders Commendations which outrank the GOC's ones. Perhaps one could wear small stars to indicate the NATO star level at which the commendation was awarded, i.e. two stars for a GOC's and three stars for a Joint Commander's one etc.
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Or more feathers in your hat? Or perhaps just be pleased that your service had been recognised by the CofC without the need to add to the Muttley collection?
  9. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Mmmm, I am thinking more in terms of morale; with soldiers signing off day after day because they are being thrashed it seems that the least we can do is give them something tangible. In my view a disproportionate amount of nice shiny things to wear are gobbled up by officers in comparatively comfy HQ's, whereas an NCO in a field unit is much more likely to gain a commendation which gives him five minutes glory in front of a visiting bigwig and is mainly forgotten thereafter.
  10. My Canadian Forces counterparts wear small metal emblems on their uniform under their ribbon bars to denote all manner of commendations (CDS, CLS, CAS etc). Looking like a 3/4 inch elongated crown, there are different colours to denote different levels of award. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but I actually agree with their approach on this one! Not over the top or distasteful in any way.

I also think the HMF should have the equivelent of the Candian Decoration (a medal for all ranks)........but that's another topic entirely.
  11. All of the Australian Old Bill have ribbons for Commissioners Commendations etc NT Pol and WA POL wear there's on the left side after Australian Federal awards, the other states wear them on the right side.
  12. Holy Thread Revival Batman!
  13. Group Rapture Hallelujah!
    • Like Like x 1

14. Might I suggest this site institutes an award of its own. Worn on a ribbon either end of the wearers legitimate rack.

It could comprise a double headed profile in the manner of the Mars and Minerva badge of The Artists Rifles.

I propose the figures are those of Crab like Monkey and a large rabbit like creature.

It could be called the Burke and Hare award for digging up the long dead.

Now stop it. Going through all the old threads will get you called a tedious twat.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  15. ADF wear the insignia of a commendation above the right pocket. Bronze for Div Comd (E), Silver for chief of service and gold for CDF. More than one can be worn (if different) which looks a bit cluttered in my opinion. Perhaps should just be the senior one.

Or a clasp on the NDM could be considered ...