Microwaved baby..........

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Alsacien, Nov 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

On the BBC news website.

US baby 'murdered in microwave'
    A US woman has been arrested on suspicion of murdering her newborn baby by burning her in a microwave oven.
    China Arnold's daughter had high-heat internal burns, but no outside marks, Ken Betz from the county coroner's office in Montgomery, Ohio, said.

"We have some forensic evidence that is consistent with our belief that a microwave oven was used," Mr Betz said of baby Paris Talley's death.

The mother denies the charge, which comes over a year after the girl died.

Paris Talley, who was one month old, was already dead when Ms Arnold took her to hospital in August 2005.

The mother was briefly arrested at the time and later released while the authorities continued investigating.

The investigation proved tricky because "there is not a lot of scientific research and data on the effect of microwaves on human beings," according to Mr Betz.

Ms Arnold's lawyer, Jon Paul Rion, has denied that his client microwaved the baby.

"China - as a mother and a person - was horrified that such an act could occur," Mr Rion told the Associated Press.

Ms Arnold claims that the night before the baby was taken to hospital she had been left for a short time with a babysitter.

Ms Arnold says that neither she nor the baby's father suspected that there was anything wrong with the child until she was found unconscious the following morning.

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Charge the lot of 'em with possession of ludicrous names.

3. Yet another sh1te story!!!

Microwaves do not cook from the inside out!

Basic physics tells you that the radio waves are absorbed by the food.

As such most of the heat is produced in an outer layer about an inch thick. So, large pieces of meat will be quickly cooked to a depth of about an inch, while the inside portions are cooked by heat conduction, just like in a conventional oven.

Mythbusted!!!

4. Still a sick story tho'...

5. Yes, but what did it TASTE like?

6. Did they test for condiments?

7. Did they remember to cover the baby?

There's a notice on our microwave at work saying that anything that is to be heated up in the microwave, has to have a lid on it.

You'd never get away with that at my place. Selfish b@stards, don't they realise other people don't want their lunch tasting of veal.

8. On the contrary, excellent story! I can recommend cooking streaky bacon between a couple of sheets of ktchen roll, minute per piece.

What was this thread about?

9. microwaves cause water molecules to vibrate which in turn creates heat by friction so it stands to reason that the moistest parts will cook first :chef: :hungry: :puker: :toilet: :tp:

10. Actually the hydrogen in the water resonates but close enough :wink:

11. just going by what it said in my microwave instruction book
    don't do science
    if I was that clever I wouldn't be a Butler
    :D

12. I'm sure you are much better at using it than I am. My knowledge is from a school physics class (so probably innacurate) Infact a microwave is about the limit of my culinary capabilities (except my fantastic curry).

13. Microwaves, like any other form of electromagnetic radiation have penetrative powers in relation to their energy level. Gamma radiation and Xrays have high penetrative powers, but do not excite (interact with) the molecules of the medium they are passing through to any great extent. Compare that to Microwaves, which are poor at passing through anything thicker than a fe centimetres, BECAUSE they interact with whatever they come in contact with.

Taken to an extreme, alpha particles cannot pass through paper because they interact extremely well with the medium (hence why the Ruskie spy died because he ingested a source of alpha radiation, rather than touched it.)

Here endeth the lesson! :D

14. Was I the only one expecting a recipe? :twisted:

15. Chicken?