Microwave oven – cleaning of..

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by wheelchairwarrier, Oct 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have “acquired” for the bothy a Panasonic combination oven / microwave with more buttons than a buttony thing.
    It would appear the previous guardians of said inverter had poor admin and the inside has burnt on residue.
    What would be the best way to clean the stainless steel interior ?
    Bear in mind please I will be conveying instructions to the operatives ( ala Rupert style , knows the theory but useless at the practical. )

2. Put an egg in it then press Jet Start. The result is spectacular, and you were going to clean it anyway...

Try Cylic Bang. Or Scotchbrite.
  3. An uncovered bowl of water with some lemon juice squeezed into it (the bottled stuff does the job). Put on full power and allow the water to turn into steam (Do NOT allow the bowl to boil dry) Then when the entire internal surface of the microwave is covered in steam droplets wipe dry. If it's really baked on grime its no bad idea to allow the steam to act for 4 -5 minutes before opening the door. Simply wipe the condensate off with a damp cloth. Job done
  4. exelent ideas, thanks .Looks like some poor sod will be watching jiff water boil and scotchbriteing on monday .

5. Only one possible solution. Grab a beer and a cheese toastie, relax in front of the telly and get Doris WW to clean it with the help of the housewife's fave....

Attached Files:

6. woahh back up there dude!!!!
    NO SCOTCHBRITE, if you scratch the coating off the insides the first time you use it, it will be like star wars on speed, non scratch cleaning cloths only mate :D
  7. No scothbrite, Hmm I'll have to re-write the procedure then and add elbow grease, or would a steam cleaner work if it was left to dy out afterwards ?

8. The Panasonic website has a download section where you should be able to get a copy of the manual:

Panasonic manuals search

Some of the combination ovens have a self-cleaning back panel that works when you use the convection cooking cycle, you don't want to damage that.

This site is useful for anyone buying electrical goods in BFG and needing a manual in English:

Instruction manuals UK
  9. I used the lemon method a couple of weeks ago, works superbly, must stop being a lazy sod and cover the stuff I put in the microwave!
  10. I clean the microwave by boiling a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar until it steams up. Then i wipe clean.
  11. I am soooo trying that :D

(But possibly not with my microwave)
  12. and so to cleaning , the safety officer attends :
    Toolbox talk to understand objectives and identify any Health & Saftey issues
    PPE issued √ ,
    Procedure explained and signed by operative √
    Cleaning materials issued along with COSHH and saftey data sheets
    ( lemon juice FFS ! ) √
    Microwave oven examined for PAT test sticker ( in date ) √
    Area barriered off and warning sign in place √

The lad puts lemon juice water in and boils it up , after five mins the crud is wiping off with sponge, you know the type I mean sponge one side and scotchbight stuff on the other..... it was too much temptation for that one last stubbon bit.

TheHatsRevenge, you are so right it didnt last long though culminating in a buzz and burnt electrical smell.

It would appear that a microwave repatriation mission is in the offing

On the up side we were treated to Haggis rissols with a sweet and sour sauce.

13. Cillit bang degreaser and lemon in a bowl of hot water nuke for 3ish ins
  14. To get rid of the smell of old burnt grease etc that eminates from the oven you need to put the peel from a couple of oranges in there and nuke for about 5 mins.

Not only will it look clean but also smell clean.