• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Microsoft XP SP3 cripples some PCs with endless reboots

If i could find my tinfoil i'd make a hat and suggest that it is intentional.

Sure you don't want that shiny new copy of Vista mate?
Oh look, your rig is fooked.

Tin foil hat firmly on. Sticking with SP2 for now.

This initial vista is going to be the new ME, one operating system to just give a miss.

First attempt to install SP3 failed (no idea why, no error message). Went back to it 24hrs later, went in no probs.

(HP and AMD machine)

According to Johansson, there appears to be two separate issues. One affects only AMD-equipped PCs sold by Hewlett-Packard Co. "The problem is that HP, apparently along with other OEMs, deploys the same image to Intel-based computers that they do to AMD-based computers," said Johansson. "Because the image for both Intel and AMD is the same, all have the intelppm.sys driver installed and running. That driver provides power management on Intel-based computers. On an AMD-based computer, amdk8.sys provides the same functionality."

Running the intelppm.sys driver on an AMD-powered PC isn't normally an issue, but on the first reboot after a service pack installation, it causes "a big problem," Johansson said. The machine either fails to boot or crashes and immediately reboots.
Do I need to worry enough to have the quote translated? AMD, but not HP.

Latest Threads