Microsoft withdrawing support for XP and Vista

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just had a message flash up on my PC saying MS are stopping support for XP and Vista. My PC uses XP and works very well.

The link then goes to a page saying that after withdrawal of support my PC may become unstable and will be more vulnerable to virus attack. The only suggestion is to upgrade to Win 8 or 8.1. It carries on to say if my PC is not able to run Win 8 then I should buy a new one!

Is this just scaremongering by Microsoft to get me to buy Win 8? My PC works very well and I have no problems with it. The upgrade page says it would have to be a full reload so I would lode all the info currently on my 'pooter.

I will check later if my PC can be upgraded to Win 8, I certainly can't afford a new one and I would be pissed off if this is just a hard sell from MS.

Could some of ARRSE's computer geniuses give me a heads up in language I can understand. Do I have to rob a bank to get a new PC or can I jog on safely?

It means they will no longer market and sell those operating systems, but more importantly for you they will no longer be issuing updates so after a while there is a danger of security compromises.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

PS. Make sure your anti virus software is continually updated to mitigate the risks.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

It also means that they need to shift boxes, which they are unable to do as long as millions of users are quite happy to stay with older operating systems.

It makes good business sense to put the fear of Christ into consumers.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
@Provost

That is what I am trying to get my head round. Is this really doom and gloom or will life carry on with more vigilance?

The article also said MSE was being withdra we n, but I don't use that any more as it was using too much system so there was little left to guard. I currently use AVG and don't see me changing.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
XP is over 10 years old. It is not viable to still have a team of developers working in it.

For average user it means no security patches to fix things that mean bad people can exploit your machine. It means no new features to the operating system. It means other software and hardware will not be kept up to date for XP much longer. You may have issues getting new printers to work for example.

Personally if you are a light users, mostly storing photos and music, email and web surfing with a few letters typed etc I would go for a tablet and Bluetooth keyboard. I am doing nearly everything on my iPad with BT keyboard. Only my essay writing, photo editing and other high end use happens on my Mac.

As long as you keep regular back ups of your important files, and you keep what you can that is still supported (anti-virus, phishing filters, etc) then you should be fine. Though as stated- ms aren't going to keep supporting software that was made obsolete in 2008/2009.

Just had a message flash up on my PC saying MS are stopping support for XP and Vista. My PC uses XP and works very well.

Deleted for brevity
It means exactly what it says. Any flaws will not be patched. If you feel no overwhelming urge to throw your money away on a new PC and OS look at Linux. I've built stuff for absolute IT novices and they've been happy enough with it.

Download a copy of Knoppix which is a 'Live CD' version - you should be able to boot off it and have a bash. Then, once you're a bit more confident look at Ubuntu Desktop for a full install.

http://knoppix.net/

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

I'm happy enough with MS though.

@Provost

That is what I am trying to get my head round. Is this really doom and gloom or will life carry on with more vigilance?

The article also said MSE was being withdra we n, but I don't use that any more as it was using too much system so there was little left to guard. I currently use AVG and don't see me changing.
You didn't mention having any firewall software. If you haven't already, I'd install one of those. I use ZoneAlarm, but there are many other free ones.

Edited to add: If you use Internet Exploiter as your browser, I would give that a swerve. If you are using XP, IE 8 is as far as you can go. Later versions are only available to more recent OSs.
Browser software (particularly IE) is probably one of the main sources of potential security issues. IE8 like XP will no longer be patched. Go for Firefox or Chrome or something that will continue to be updated.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thanks guys,

Looks like I have some work to do. If my PC can take Win 8 then I will go there. If not the it is a Balaclava job!

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
Not sure about your software but I think your keyboard needs to be replaced.

If you are going to update your Windows OS, I'd say go to Windows 7. It is a lot friendlier if you were happy with the way XP worked and will continue to be supported for a good time to come (not least because Win 8 has been such a dismal flop.)

Thanks guys,

Looks like I have some work to do. If my PC can take Win 8 then I will go there. If not the it is a Balaclava job!
I'm guessing that you'd prefer to use something that feels familiar to you (seeing as you're still on xp), if so I'd recommend you go to windows 7. The reason being that 8 is a totally different beast and has quite a sharp learning curve, with it's new "metro" desktop apps. Plus 7 still natively supports DVD players and comes with media centre as standard for the Premium and Ultra versions (can be installed on up to 3 computers). Or you can get a new copy of the Student version for under £40 (can only be installed on one computer and can only buy this online).

Windows 8, its bally awfull, its ment for touch screen, it just dont work,, if you have chubby fingers or a tad older it confuses the hell out of you

If you are going to update your Windows OS, I'd say go to Windows 7. It is a lot friendlier if you were happy with the way XP worked and will continue to be supported for a good time to come (not least because Win 8 has been such a dismal flop.)
This is good advice, Windows 8 is not as easy to use (All familiar Windows features are not in 8 )

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I still have a machine with Win 98 on it.
There are mission critical systems in certain armed forces that require Win 98 machines for diagnosis and logging reasons.