Microsoft Windows aboard Royal Navy submarines

Just found out that the MoD is installing Microsoft Windows on the Royal Navy's submarine fleet. Story here and here.

Holy sh!t, Matloe. Your submarine has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

Or the Navy Blue screen of death:

Look, if it's good enough for Alien Motherships in Independence Day, it'll be good enough for the Subs :)

To quote the Chuckle brothers,
"Oh dear, oh dear Barry"

Considering every other computer in the MoD uses Windows as it's OS.

elovabloke

ADC
BarryBuddon said:
non story - what OS do you expect them to run JPA and Office on?
Would trailing a big long broadband lead not give them away :? And fish would trip over it.

Has this been thought through.

Shouldnt it read 'Microsoft Portholes installed on submarine' :?

As someone who has been involved on design for the Astute trainers for the last few years, I can assure you (without breaking opsec) that nothing that controls anything runs on Windows.

There goes our Nuclear deterrant - up in flames!!

I like the idea of "Windows portholes" but I would presume the o/s would be a modified version of windoze, we have such ...
Would the RN get a Pirate copy ?

WW

Edited for mong speeling

PartTimePongo said:
Look, if it's good enough for Alien Motherships in Independence Day, it'll be good enough for the Subs :)
They still got spanked by that Virus though didn't they.

Do you reckon the Aliens Home planet could get intouch with Norton for a refund?

They probably got put through to a call centre on Jupiter.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Wasn't their something about this a few years ago
IIRC a F -119 (the black septic invisible thing) fell out of the sky
The pilot remembered hearing a tune just before his avionics and engines shut down
The tune was the microsoft tune it plays when the computor switches off
They found if you don't switch off and reboot the computor after about 6 months it performs an automatic shutdown
I think their navy had some problems with it aswell

BarryBuddon said:
non story - what OS do you expect them to run JPA and Office on?
Open source Free Linux perhaps, with the code freely available to tweak as required....Not £150 a single user licence Windows Vista...with more bugs and holes in it than a string vest.......

Ninja_Turtle said:
Considering every other computer in the MoD uses Windows as it's OS.
Not So

Some sensible systems run on SOLARIS and others run on bespoke OS. Avoiding Windows inclusion into a military application should be engraved on the heart of all at the DEC and IPTs

Latest Threads