Microsoft Teams - what do I need to do?

Yokel

LE
Late this morning, I received an e-mail telling me that I have an appointment at 1000 tomorrow at Microsoft teams. It has previously been described as a 'Webinar'.

What do I need to do? I have not used Teams before?

Click on the link sent in the appointment - it should take you to a web page - that will allow you to either join the meeting via your web browser or give you the option to download the application to your device, and you can join the meeting there

Yokel

LE
I better finally plug the speakers in there!

Thanks - I had no idea. They have not sent me the appointment link yet...

Basic 10 minute overview:

Blur background or use a different backdrop...sorted

That works except for moving objects so cats manage to break through the virtual backdrop often

No animals, young children or drunken friends/relatives should be in the room...

Nah I cope with meetings with a cat sat on my head sometimes, if it sits it fits...it's a cat thing

FMOB.

I'm standing in the road and there's a bus coming towards me at speed. I've been issued a warning blast on its horn. What do I need to do? I've never been hit by a bus before.

Yokel

LE
FMOB.

I'm standing in the road and there's a bus coming towards me at speed. I've been issued a warning blast on its horn. What do I need to do? I've never been hit by a bus before.

Well excuse me! I have never used Microsoft Teams before, and there was no link in the e-mail, so I wondered if I needed to download the software.

4(T)

LE
Well excuse me! I have never used Microsoft Teams before, and there was no link in the e-mail, so I wondered if I needed to download the software.

Download the app anyway. Get it installed and registered to your MS account - choose a username, etc. Best to plug in a headset if you have one, then use the "audio test" function in the app to make sure you can hear something (and, if you have a microphone, that it is registering).

Then you are all set to go. Saves the embarrassment of trying to plug things in or fiddle with sound settings whilst everyone is waiting...

They'll probably send you a follow-up email with the meeting link in it. If you've already set up, then its just one click and away you go.

The most useful "buttons" are "deactivate my camera" and "mute my microphone".
Closely followed by "Elvis has left the building".
If you thought your colleagues were boring in real life, Teams meetings opens a whole new dimension.

chimera

LE
You will also learn the most annoying phrase to come out of the pandemic: "....sorry I was on mute..."

Do not under any circumstance use the 'put my hand up' button, just butt in over the top of whoever is already speaking. Due to the delay you will bring the conversation to a rapid halt as everyone tries to work out who's talking, then say sorry and ask whoever was speaking to carry on. Doing this repeatedly means you won't be invited to any Teams meetings in the future, problem solved.

Making sure that you leave your microphone on and near a speaker to cause feedback will speed this process up significantly, as will loud pointless conversations with someone off-screen. If the person running the meeting knows what they are doing and preemptively mutes everyone you may require more advanced techniques.

Yokel

LE
Still no invitation e-mail. The invitation one was from a 'do not reply' address. Will wait and see what e-mail arrives prior to 1000.

I wonder if would just be simpler the use a laptop that I have previously used for Zoom. Or even my mobile phone.... Sounds like a lot of faffing about otherwise, not to mention an untidy background...

Not sure the PC has a microphone.

Last edited:
FMOB.

It is not often you see a bus, but be warned they sometimes appear in threes, be prepared for multiple hits..

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
HandyAndy.png

Latest Threads