Microsoft security essentials virus

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Gobbly wobbly, Jun 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some criminally geeky git has made a virus that looks like Microsoft Security essentials. It switches all your anti virus stuff and keeps popping up to tell you that you have a trojan and need to download a program that will fix the problem.

I rebooted the computer in safe mode and went back to a restore point. Rebooted the computer again and did a security scan. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BE DOING???

Any help will be gratefully received?

2. ouch! Where did you download it from? And what virus scan are you now running?

3. Haven't a clue but I have a nine year old who loves games sites and has had unsupervised access this afternoon. McAfee is running at the moment. I have seen some info that suggests it may not show up on security scans. Apparently it's the fix that is the real trojan.

4. apparently Malawarebytes can detect and remove it! Do you have that on your pc?

5. No, but I will have a look at it when McAfee stops scanning.

6. I concur, Malware bytes is the best tool to get rid of this. A word of warning though, if you can, run it from safe mode as the virus is less active (it has several parts and the active processes are not loaded). If you load safe mode with networking, you can download MWB. Then make sure it updates. Run MWB ignoring any pop up threat warnings. Reboot and run it again, then a third time, depending on the variant, this particular piece of malware can layer itself and come back at you. Three cleanings should allow your anti-virus to update properly again and all should be back to normal.

HTH

7. Cheers for that, as soon as I figured out what was going (reasonably quickly) I rebooted in safe mode and went back to a restore point and that seemed to fix the problem. I have scanned with McAfee and I am scanning with MWB. It seems to have picked up some problems and I will sort them out shortly.

GW

8. msr

msr LE

9. This afternoon my son was on our computer and he tells me he clicked a pop up on a game site. When I switched it on 1/2 an hour ago it would not run windows and a Critical Hard Drive Error message has come up. I've run the windows 7 diagnostic and recovery jobby that came up but it says it failed to fix 6 of the disk errors. Strangely the internet explorer icon is still there and I've had no probs logging on, hence this post. My technical knowledge is limited to banging the mouse and swearing. Is this the same problem as listed above and if so what do I do??

EDIT

after posting the above a message came up saying windows couldn't save data, I clicked try again (ever the optomist!) and the computer just powered down. I don't have an igloo what to do so if anyone can help me in really janet and john easy steps I'd appreciate it.

10. Mc_haveMe and Norton are well exploited.

So are the rest, they will not protect you from an 0day

11. Set yourself up with a password-protected Admin acct and your other family members with restricted User accounts. Stop them loading crap that will mess up your confuser.

12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

you should have run another topic for this as stuff will get confusing, first thing is boot up and back up your data without allowing it to connect to the internet. then you can look at if you have a problem with your disk.

13. Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG should sort it