Microsoft security essentials virus

Some criminally geeky git has made a virus that looks like Microsoft Security essentials. It switches all your anti virus stuff and keeps popping up to tell you that you have a trojan and need to download a program that will fix the problem.

I rebooted the computer in safe mode and went back to a restore point. Rebooted the computer again and did a security scan. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BE DOING???

Any help will be gratefully received?

ouch! Where did you download it from? And what virus scan are you now running?

ouch! Where did you download it from? And what virus scan are you now running?
Haven't a clue but I have a nine year old who loves games sites and has had unsupervised access this afternoon. McAfee is running at the moment. I have seen some info that suggests it may not show up on security scans. Apparently it's the fix that is the real trojan.

apparently Malawarebytes can detect and remove it! Do you have that on your pc?

I concur, Malware bytes is the best tool to get rid of this. A word of warning though, if you can, run it from safe mode as the virus is less active (it has several parts and the active processes are not loaded). If you load safe mode with networking, you can download MWB. Then make sure it updates. Run MWB ignoring any pop up threat warnings. Reboot and run it again, then a third time, depending on the variant, this particular piece of malware can layer itself and come back at you. Three cleanings should allow your anti-virus to update properly again and all should be back to normal.

HTH

I concur, Malware bytes is the best tool to get rid of this. A word of warning though, if you can, run it from safe mode as the virus is less active (it has several parts and the active processes are not loaded). If you load safe mode with networking, you can download MWB. Then make sure it updates. Run MWB ignoring any pop up threat warnings. Reboot and run it again, then a third time, depending on the variant, this particular piece of malware can layer itself and come back at you. Three cleanings should allow your anti-virus to update properly again and all should be back to normal.

HTH
Cheers for that, as soon as I figured out what was going (reasonably quickly) I rebooted in safe mode and went back to a restore point and that seemed to fix the problem. I have scanned with McAfee and I am scanning with MWB. It seems to have picked up some problems and I will sort them out shortly.

GW

This afternoon my son was on our computer and he tells me he clicked a pop up on a game site. When I switched it on 1/2 an hour ago it would not run windows and a Critical Hard Drive Error message has come up. I've run the windows 7 diagnostic and recovery jobby that came up but it says it failed to fix 6 of the disk errors. Strangely the internet explorer icon is still there and I've had no probs logging on, hence this post. My technical knowledge is limited to banging the mouse and swearing. Is this the same problem as listed above and if so what do I do??

EDIT

after posting the above a message came up saying windows couldn't save data, I clicked try again (ever the optomist!) and the computer just powered down. I don't have an igloo what to do so if anyone can help me in really janet and john easy steps I'd appreciate it.

Set yourself up with a password-protected Admin acct and your other family members with restricted User accounts. Stop them loading crap that will mess up your confuser.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
This afternoon my son was on our computer and he tells me he clicked a pop up on a game site. When I switched it on 1/2 an hour ago it would not run windows and a Critical Hard Drive Error message has come up. I've run the windows 7 diagnostic and recovery jobby that came up but it says it failed to fix 6 of the disk errors. Strangely the internet explorer icon is still there and I've had no probs logging on, hence this post. My technical knowledge is limited to banging the mouse and swearing. Is this the same problem as listed above and if so what do I do??

EDIT

after posting the above a message came up saying windows couldn't save data, I clicked try again (ever the optomist!) and the computer just powered down. I don't have an igloo what to do so if anyone can help me in really janet and john easy steps I'd appreciate it.
you should have run another topic for this as stuff will get confusing, first thing is boot up and back up your data without allowing it to connect to the internet. then you can look at if you have a problem with your disk.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
for this topic then malwarebytes is good and so is spybot which is totally free and does add exeptions to IE to cut down the exploitations. IE adblocker software can work well enough to stop these, a modified hosts file from hostsXpert tells all browsers not to go to so many sites or allow connections to them so you get the pop up window from the page script but its empty.

when your pc is clean then make a backup with something like macrium (which does a free edition) separate to system restore as they are notorious for failing. that way you can recover your system without drama. keeping docs on a separate partition saves problems if you ever have to recover data from a screwy drive but if its important then keep three copies..

HTH
Is Malware bytes better than SUPERAntiSpyware Free edition..???

never tried the second one but i use malawarebytes and run it once every so often anyway . a v handy bit of kit even a thicko like me can use it

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
malwarebytes has a free and paid version, most vendors do free editions to try and get you to upgrade. its not something you run all the time, spybot has tools like teatimer and resident shield which tell you if something has added itself to your startup. IObit 360 is another one which is very good and highly rated.

some are really good but you get fed up with the nag screens asking if you want to upgrade to professional or they update the program so often you get fed up updating it all the time.

trend do some good free kit as well

install revo unistaller as this is free and will uninstall programs down to registry level so if you dont like a program then you take it out as sometimes you need a couple of tries to find the right software to take it out. scareware will try to get you to buy there product which usually doesnt exist so never click on anything offering you a free scan. also many freeware programs install toolbars, additional partner software or change settings like search and homepage - ask.com is terrible for this tools like revo allow you to check up and take them out again.