Microsoft Office move

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by MSI64, Jul 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have bought a new computer that has windows Vista but no Office and the wife wants Word.
    I have an old PC with Word on it Can I move it from one PC to another either by usb stick or cable or maybe by disc????
  2. 1) get utorrent.
    2) install utorrent.
    3) go to and search for msoffice 2007 enterprise edition.
    4) start downloading.
    5) laugh long and hard at bill gates, because you just got a £600 piece of software for free.

3. Bikini Black has it spot on
  4. It's not "mocked-up" to look like anything...

And it's Open Source, not "freeware". :roll:
  5. Sorry ********, why not provide advice instead of shooting holes in what other chaps write. I lack the skills/temperament/inclination to play with open source, therefore its "freeware" as far as I'm concerned.

However upon a moments reflection, with a name like "OpenOffice" it really does give the game away and makes me look a bit of a belm.

My apologies Sir dogmeat, I'm off to sign out the mess Webley.
  6. msr

msr LE

If you are serving, the smart money says go here:

Full version of Office 2007 Enterprise £17

7. I downloaded open office and it does the trick pretty well, as it seems to be 100% compatible with MO.

The equivalent of Power Point (called Impress) is not all that good, but hey ho, it's free!
  8. A chap should have his own Webley.
  9. In a nutshell, no.

When Word installs (as with most programs) it has to integrate itself into Windows to work properly. This involves all sorts of technical things, but the net result is that you can't just move the program over to another computer. What you need is the installation media from which it was installed in the first place (assuming you loaded it yourself), at which point you can install it onto the second computer, assuming it's compatible. (Earlier versions of Word won't work on Vista).

Alternatives are, as Bikini_Black proposed is to essentially steal it from BitTorrent (oh, and Bikini, using is like playing russian roulette with a fully loaded semi-automatic - you want to use secure trackers, rather than a public access one. It's a lot easier for public ones to be closed down and forced to reveal server logs), to buy it again or to use alternative word processors.

As suggested by a number of other people, Open Office is a good solution. It feels a lot like Office 2003, and for what you want, it should be more than sufficient. It may take a little getting used to in comparison with the current version of Word that your wife uses, but it is, after all, absolutely free!
  10. [quote="dogmeat
    A chap should have his own Webley.[/quote]

I would have my own old boy, it's these damned UK gun laws. I really can't be arrsed jumping through more hoops than I absolutely have to.
  11. it's not stealing, merely borrowing!
  12. msr

msr LE

No it isn't. It's theft. And it's not big or clever to promote it in public you nugget.