Microsoft Money - does anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Litotes, Dec 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone use MS Money?

If so, do you like it? Does it work? Are there any problems with it?

I would be grateful for any advice on the topic!

Litotes

2. Basic and cheap but good stuff, like most Microsoft offerings. Not used by HM Revenue and Customs, just in case you come across any CD's.

Heavyweight applications in the same vein are TurboTax or Sage

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I've used it for keeping tabs on family spending, links nicely with the banks websites, just don't trust the passport system to keep your passwords safe, enter them manually.

Can be as complicated as you want, but I keep mine simple.

Never tried to link it to the HMRC tax returns system, but it was simple by hand anyway.

S_R

4. I haven't looked at those and thanks for the info!

Litotes

5. if it was used by hm rev then hang about you may recieve a copy of the disc through the post

6. You're welcome. My brother in law (despite being a Scouse supporter) is a decent bloke and a Treasury-accredited accountant. They use Sage where he works (some money laundering I mean solicitors firm)

7. The latest version only have US bank in the database which renders the program useless in the UK.

8. Microsoft Money Home & Business 2007 has support for GBP. You do, however, need a Windows Live (eg @hotmail) identity. Requires additional OS support to be downloaded, so broadband is a must. Works better on Vista if you disable desktop composition, ie, turn off Aero.

9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I used to use Sage for domestic accounts [I had a legal copy from the office]. Monster expensive option these days ...

Eventually I had to get Money [2003, on-line upgrade to 2005].
    It works ... -ish.

Mahoosively over-complicated, doesn't use proper financial terminology, capable of being edited and over-written at the user's whim [i.e. not suitable for proper audited accounts].
    I would guess it was written by a bunch of MS Interns ... your recruitment interview, so to speak.

That said, for the last 5 years it has let me keep track of money here and there and generally suits the domestic setting for a fairly cheap package. However, if you've ever used proper accounting procedures, you need a dictionary! And it doesn't mimic the normal MS product range either.

I gather it's about to go ...