Microsoft Excel Chart

Hi all,

I am trying to create a chart with January through to December on the left hand side followed by Total, it would have 3 columns Number of jobs, average income which would be £190 per job, and total income, after the December total income an autosum of the 12 creating the years income. I can create the chart easily but cant get it to display al of the information.
Number of jobs Jan to Dec would be 12,12,10,9,8,8,8,8,8,8,10,12

Ay help would be appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Hi all,

I am trying to create a chart with January through to December on the left hand side followed by Total, it would have 3 columns Number of jobs, average income which would be £190 per job, and total income, after the December total income an autosum of the 12 creating the years income. I can create the chart easily but cant get it to display al of the information.
Number of jobs Jan to Dec would be 12,12,10,9,8,8,8,8,8,8,10,12

Ay help would be appreciated.

Regards

Dave
Honestly. Google it and also check YouTube.

Here you go. Download it, get rid of .pdf extension and put the right number of jobs in it.
Works, but not very nice is it ;-)

I like the idea of using a PDF extension to attach it though.
p.s I build / create Excel Spreadsheets as a side income.

Works, but not very nice is it ;-)

I like the idea of using a PDF extension to attach it though.
p.s I build / create Excel Spreadsheets as a side income.
Where do you find the clients?

I spend a few hours a day in Excel for my day job. I've got a job on for tomorrow, there's about a quarter of a million calculations in the sheet that I'll be working with. Fkn-A :)

I spend a few hours a day in Excel for my day job. I've got a job on for tomorrow, there's about a quarter of a million calculations in the sheet that I'll be working with. Fkn-A :)
I finished one for a Toronto hospital last year, (a verified**) 7.8 MILLION formulas at the last count. (cost: $2,700 plus 6 call backs at $200 a pop). Mind you they did save around $80G on a Union Labour Grievance, and cut their staff scheduling down to a 20 minute a day job instead of ALL day, including an automated Union report every Qtr.

Word of mouth mostly, Kajjiji help ads now and again, Excel help forum, but mostly WOM.

I treat them as Jigsaw puzzles, the trick is setting up the right way of collecting the data and making Excel work for you and not the other way round. Build one formula, Ctl, R, Ctrl D, boom 1,000 (or whatever) formulas copied across & down.

** After all of that I thought of a completely different way of doing it and cut that down to less than 2mill.

If you need help ask away :cool:

If you need help ask away :cool:
I'm good, thanks. In my case, there's just a shit ton of match/index functions mapping 1500 locations to the nearest of 700 other locations. Actually my gig tomorrow is to cut those 700 down to 6, and then balance them out between the 6. So not really an Excel problem per se, Excel is just the vehicle to figure it out.

I finished one for a Toronto hospital last year, (a verified**) 7.8 MILLION formulas at the last count. (cost: $2,700 plus 6 call backs at $200 a pop). Mind you they did save around $80G on a Union Labour Grievance, and cut their staff scheduling down to a 20 minute a day job instead of ALL day, including an automated Union report every Qtr.

Word of mouth mostly, Kajjiji help ads now and again, Excel help forum, but mostly WOM.

I treat them as Jigsaw puzzles, the trick is setting up the right way of collecting the data and making Excel work for you and not the other way round. Build one formula, Ctl, R, Ctrl D, boom 1,000 (or whatever) formulas copied across & down.

** After all of that I thought of a completely different way of doing it and cut that down to less than 2mill.
At what stage do you decide Access is a better option? I say this after spending shit loads of time trying to recover huge corrupted spreadsheets. Thankfully rare these days.

I'm good, thanks. In my case, there's just a shit ton of match/index functions mapping 1500 locations to the nearest of 700 other locations. Actually my gig tomorrow is to cut those 700 down to 6, and then balance them out between the 6. So not really an Excel problem per se, Excel is just the vehicle to figure it out.
Locations? As in actual places? If so, Tableau would be a better option...and even if you are not subscribed to it you can have a free week long trial..which helps you to blend your data with locs.

At what stage do you decide Access is a better option? I say this after spending shit loads of time trying to recover huge corrupted spreadsheets. Thankfully rare these days.
I have never switched a spreadsheet to an Access Database, I take the time to a) write an info tab on how I set the sheet up, how it works, b)Identify the formulas used, and what they do. and c) use sheet or cell protection, hidden tabs, and data validation methods to stop formulas or formatting from getting broken.

I agree though, trying to figure out how someone else has set a workbook up can be extremely difficult to trace where or what the formulas depend on. (I get lost myself sometimes if I am honest, and now I write little notes as a reminder) :)

I have never switched a spreadsheet to an Access Database, I take the time to a) write an info tab on how I set the sheet up, how it works, b)Identify the formulas used, and what they do. and c) use sheet or cell protection, hidden tabs, and data validation methods to stop formulas or formatting from getting broken.

I agree though, trying to figure out how someone else has set a workbook up can be extremely difficult to trace where or what the formulas depend on. (I get lost myself sometimes if I am honest, and now I write little notes as a reminder) :)
Unfortunately, the protection's not worth a dime. Easy peasy to crack Excel sheets.

I get a perverse satisfaction from finding an error in someone else's protected sheet/book, fix it and send it back with a different password :)

Unfortunately, the protection's not worth a dime. Easy peasy to crack Excel sheets.

I get a perverse satisfaction from finding an error in someone else's protected sheet/book, fix it and send it back with a different password :)
Haha, me to :)

But usually the people asking for them to get fixed don't know how to do that.

A week ago the wife was sent a spreadsheet to order work clothes from, it was a load of bollox, I broke the password, fixed it, changed the formulas to stop showing TRUE or FALSE, added a few that made it work a lot better, added a password, and sent it back, with a nice note saying "This is a freebie fix" since then I have been contacted by her manager asking how much I charge for doing this. Not heard back yet though.

Last edited:
@Roadster280 - Starter for 10 - what is this used for?

= (DOLLAR(("4/"&E$5)/7+MOD(19*MOD(E$5,19)-7,30)*14%,)*7-6)

NB: I didn't create it, I have NO idea why it works, but it comes in handy for employee schedules.

@Roadster280 - Starter for 10 - what is this used for?

= (DOLLAR(("4/"&E$5)/7+MOD(19*MOD(E$5,19)-7,30)*14%,)*7-6)

NB: I didn't create it, I have NO idea why it works, but it comes in handy for employee schedules.
That's a VBA/Excel script which which refers to specific cells in a spreadsheet..

That's a VBA/Excel script which which refers to specific cells in a spreadsheet..
Bzzzzzt. Nope, it's a normal formula that finds the date of Easter Sunday from the phases of the moon, like I said I have NO idea how it works but I use it in a Holiday Schedule then use it to Conditional Format an employee work schedule to highlight holidays along with CF for weekends.

Bzzzzzt. Nope, it's a normal formula that finds the date of Easter Sunday from the phases of the moon, like I said I have NO idea how it works but I use it in a Holiday Schedule then use it to Conditional Format an employee work schedule to highlight holidays along with CF for weekends.
It's a bit confusing to read on my tiny phone browser and I haven't done it in a bit...so could very well be wrong.

Though, when you put in $ symbols, doesn't it always go the the exact cell?
Yep, the E$5 is the current year cell.

and just as an FYI for anyone else it is a relative column and absolute row, so that can be dragged across a row and it will change to F,G, H etc, ,but it can also be dragged down the columns and still stay at row five.

Latest Threads