Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Microsoft claims win over 'Russian political hackers'

Nice headline.Then the first sentence says
"Russian attempts to launch cyber-attacks against US conservative groups have been thwarted, Microsoft says."
At the end of the story it says
"It said that, so far, it had no evidence that the domains had been used in any attacks. The domains could have been set up to help a future planned assault."
So which is it?

I'd go with 'Russia Guilty' as a starting point, but then I have been know to a little bit biased against putin's kleptocracy and all their crimes.......

"Russian attempts to launch cyber-attacks against US conservative groups have been thwarted, Microsoft says."
At the end of the story it says
"It said that, so far, it had no evidence that the domains had been used in any attacks. The domains could have been set up to help a future planned assault."
So which is it?

Works for me. Domains prevented from being used for attacks = attempts to launch attacks thwarted.

Last edited:
The attacks which our Orange pal in the White House so studiously ignores, took substantial prepration.

Russians had to visit the US in order to set up domains and VPNs which they could then use in later phases.

Access to systems which can them be concealed and left open to later exploitation is standard commerically taught tradecraft. I would hope the Russian State-level operators were equally forethought and careful.

And this is the one that was found?