Microlight pilot dies in attempt to raise £150k for H4H

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very sad indeed.

Microlight pilot Martin Bromage dies on first leg of charity flight to Australia

"Martin Bromage, 49, took off yesterday morning but contact with him was lost over the Channel.

A spokesman for Dover Coastguard confirmed that his body had been found by a French patrol boat at 10pm last night, two miles from Boulogne. "

"The father-of-two set off from Staverton Airport in Gloucestershire on his lone flight to Sydney at 10am yesterday. He was due to complete the 11,000-mile journey across 16 countries in six weeks, and hoped to raise £150,000 for the war charity Help For Heroes."

2. RIP. I do hope that his family / friends are consoled in some small way by his death being doing something particularly worthwhile.
  3. heard this on radio 2, tragic news R.I.P
  4. Thoughts go out to all those affected...RIP
  5. I read it as well and was touched by his intent. It was clearly to have been an epic journey, not without risk. It is somehow sadder that the accident that killed him was so close to home. Sad, and as someone else has commented, I do hope his family can find some solace in the fact that he was attempting a very noble feat. RIP.
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I don't usually comment on these RIP threads unless I knew the individual concerned, but this is very upsetting. It really has put a downer on my day.

7. Martin should have organised a sponsored cigarette smoke. Much safer! Seriously though, I am saddened by his death. His heart was clearly in the right place, and he was a good friend to HM Forces. RIP, and sincere condolences to his family and friends.