Mico MG backpacks - your opinion?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by IndependentBoffin, Nov 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What has a backpack got to do with how often you fire a weapon? It doesn't look too radically different to any other day sack to me.

575 seems an odd choice of capacity when ammunition comes in lots of 200. Does that correspond to barrel change in any way? or perhaps first line ammo scaling?
    I wonder how easy it is to recharge once the contents are expended.

2. and the price!!!

3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

$4k???

be cheaper to buy a backboard and strap a couple of ammo cans to it surely?? ;)

4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Holy Shit, 4000 dollars?????

5. 4000 USD? 4000?!! For a daysack? For one with only one use, and that looks like it'd get tangled to buggery with the ammo feed bit if you ever tried to take it off to fire in the prone? Madness. For 4 grand I`d have thought you could afford to buy a quad and trailer to carry your link around in...

Having previously spent some time training with GPMG, the problem of not having enough 'ready use' link on me in the light role didn't arise. The time when you are REALLY going through some serious amounts of link is when you are in the SF role - and then you have the chance to get boxes of the stuff ready to go on the gunline.

In the light role the amount of ammo being expended was less due to movement, and I always had enough in my beltkit to last a good while, certainly long enough for the No2 to start feeding from his daysack, then my daysack, and then to have grabbed belts from the rest in the sections. A gun group and whole section can carry more weight and more link than a guy with one super-duper daysack out of 'Predator' after all.

I suspect this will make the owner and shareholders of some kitmaking company fairly rich though, largely from selling to airsofters no doubt.

6. What's the point of the dinky little sight ? (Never used an MG in combat so I'm only asking)

7. Holy shit indeed!
    Though I imagine the cost will relate to these bits of hardware:
    [​IMG]
    Ammunition container; and:
    [​IMG]
    Link feed.

There was a video at one point showing this being fired from the prone.

8. Interesting theory.

9. I thought this a strange comment too, anyone firing may miss the sound of the round passing near you not just the gunner?

No more an RPG magnet than anyone eles in the patrol?

Nice concept however the cost would put it way out of anyones budget to justify the benifits to the soldiers on the ground? the reason you ditch the ammo tin is to reduce weight, why re pack it into one large one on your back.

Firing the weapon from anything other than a supported static position is a waste of ammo as someone mentioned by this point someone is throwing ammo at you :D

10. look at the OP boris the youtube vid is there

11. Ah. It's back. Deleted for a while.

12. Actions on runaway gun anyone?

13. Off the top of my head I think you'd squeeze the connectors each side of this bit to disconnect from the feed tray then break the belt:
    [​IMG]

I doubt if this is designed for general patrolling. More likely it's for SF deliberate assault where the team won't be on the ground for too long.

14. Think we should have a go at making one of these....

I recon we could sell it for 3500k :)