Mickey Mouse Degrees.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by amazing__lobster, Aug 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Boris Johnson Linky

2. Scary how many kids graduate with useless (ie. unemployable) degrees... BA in liberal arts equates to a waste of tuition funds here in the states unless you are sending your child to college specifically to find a spouse.

3. Many of the girls in the call centre at work have degrees. I know one with a philosophy degree, one with a "singing" degree and another with a degree in archeology.

When I was at school, a decent number of people left at age 16 and got jobs or apprenticeships. They became your factory workers and plumbers. Many stayed on and went to college. They became low-level office workers or went into technical trades. A handful went to university, and they became executives and started businesses.

Obviously this is very general, but in my mind, that's more or less how the system worked. Now that almost every single young person goes all the way to uni, has anything actually been achieved?

4. No.......apart from huge amounts of valuable resource wasted on intellectual sludge, and an increasing proportion of disillusioned 'graduates' who wonder why they are earning much less than the debts they 'graduated' with.

5. Highly educated gas station attendents is what has been achieved... the bar for entry into business has been raised considerably here. Jobs which used to only require a high school diploma now require an associates degree and so on.

6. The problem with Plymouth's College of St Mark and St John (Marjons) is not the subject but the execrable quality of instruction. It doesn't matter what degree you study, the college is sh1t.

I remember when I was filling my UCAS application that Bournemouth Unversity was running a course on Footwear Fashion in the 1980s for which you didn't even need A Levels - you merely undertook an extra year of study at the university!

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I met this bar whilst working for PB an American firm, I was the only candidate with the skills and experience and willing to take the job on. They employed me through another consultancy so I wouldnt appear on their books without the magical MBA in business bollock spiel. Problem is more eejits have these courses so you get six sigma now. A course that teaches you to think out different solutions? I thought you only needed different solutions if your boss was too thick to accept that you knew the right way to do it!
    Countless progress reports, funny charts and endless bluff and bull which in the end stops you ever achieving completion of the job or triples its cost. Thank you!

8. But then again, what about the number of mature students who have gained from going to university, who didn't take A levels, etc?

This morning, for instance - a graduate mature student was being interviewed on the radio, because she was leaving for Australia tomorrow, before starting a expedition in the Antarctic.

I have heard of countless similar stories of people doing well, because access to higher education has been increased.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I agree with mature students getting better access, in fact on leaving the mob youshould be offered further education supported as a means of resettlement. It doesnt need much and would be a good way for those of us who joined at 16 to feel appreciated now we are mature enough to knuckle down and study!

10. I understand your point but the place I work now has completely replaced the ratio of graduate engineers and manufacturing staff, so we need may more graduates than we do apprentice fitters etc. Much of industry has changed, the ammount of floor space for production ahs fallen and the engineering offices and laboratories has grown dramatically.

11. One of the problems is that many students are actually doing degrees where either there is a gross over supply of graduates already or even worse with no consideration of what work they actually want to do when they graduate. I would put a lot of blame on the advice from schools where all to often teachers promote their own pet subject rather than something practical for the student. Both my sons were subject to such pressure but rsisted and one is now an engineering manager and the other is a university researcher/lecturer in practical hydrodynamics

12. I fell into that category leaving at 16 and entering training the week after sitting my last CSE exam. 25 years latter I am having my photo taken on graduation at University of Huddersfield. My aim now is not to pay back my student loan.

13. Agreed... IT workers are a dime a dozen now. Heck, plumbers are one of the highest paid professions here! :D

14. We dont employ IT people, we contract that out but we do employ a lot of high quality engineers. The IT thing is all down to the imperfections of the market, first there was a shortage so many people trained and at the same time technology improved so now we have too many, they same will probably happen to plumbers. Wont worry me though, I do my own plumbing usually.