Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michelin stars-what do they mean?

Worth it if you get the chance. I have a wealthy friend who is one of their valued customers and have in his company attended a dinner in the Napoleon cellar. Was really a wine tasting accompanied by (fairly grand) food. Superb experience.

My bold you lucky sod, now that is the way to enjoy food, at others expense!!
I was so lucky during my business career in purchasing to have been entertained in some of the best restaurants in W. Europe by potential sellers who knew I liked good food & wine.
I remember being in a supposedly good 2 or 3 * restaurant in the Cotswolds with a sales director who asked me to choose the wine. We were having beef so I chose a nice Burgundy, not the most expensive but a good one from a good year.
We got to the table a bit later & I saw the bottle already opened on the table. The wine waiter then poured a little for me to taste. It was too tannic & when I looked at the bottle closely it was the wrong year as well, so I sent it back. The manager was called & asked what the problem was. I pointed out that in ALL of the GOOD restaurants I had been to, the wine was brought to the table UNOPENED for me to check it was what I ordered & then opened in front of me prior to me tasting to ensure it was the wine I ordered!
I then told him I would speak to the MD of his company who just happened to be the brother of another director of a company I dealt with and had met a few times in his London restaurant.
We then ordered a reasonable bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape to replace the dodgy one & were not charged for it or the meal!!
The Sales director I was with was most impressed and said he would ensure that any business I did with him, I would be sure to get the best possible deal!!

Latest Threads