Micheal Yon - Where we really are in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bowmore_Assassin, Oct 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Well worth a read. I've been following Yon on his website - good stories/pics etc. He had a bit of a spat with MOD recently ref his embedding with British Troops in Helmand and Bob Ainsworth had to answer questions over it in Parliament.

If the article in the Washington Times is the view of most Americans, at least we know they respect our military, if not the Government. This is the first uneqivocal article I have seen which expresses the opinion that we are (the Brits) that is likely to lose in AFG if the Govt does not commit properly.

I agree with pretty much everything he says.

Story here:

Thoughts anyone ?

2. I wonder why he thinks we will start to lose in Helmand next year and be defeated in 2011.

3. Bowmore_Assassin

Fair question. I suppose he is extrapolating from the info he has (Canadians pulling out in 2011, Dutch reducing, UK reluctance to commit enough resources and so on) and putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with an assumption. I would also surmise that Yon has several inside contacts from his time in Iraq and AFG and may be getting some insider opinion - but I could be wrong on this.

4. I dont think Yon is just saying the Brits will lose.... i think he is saying the whole campaign will be lost by 2011 if someone doesn't get a grip. (A view gaining more and more momentum by the day).

I showed this artice to quiet a few ppl today.... must say it caused a substantial debate with many ppl on both sides....

My opinion, he is spot. We are very lucky that he is there calling it like it is. The saddest thing about the whole saga is that the losers are not the politicians... its the lads on the ground, before, present and future.

Blair will be EU president by 2011, Mandelson sitting close by, Brown doing the Maths again... what do they care....

5. Bowmore_Assassin

ICSJ,

Sadly I agree with your last line...And to think, the great British public set this off. Anyone who voted Labliar should be sad and ashamed of themselves.

Back on thread, I agree, at least Yon seems to tell it how it is. I also think your view on Yon's piece as referring to the campaign as a whole is the right interpretation. How worrying is that ?