Michael Yon - yet another top article, US rescue copters.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo_Bravo, Sep 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ClickettySure, UK only gets a passing mention but the blokes he talks about here - PJs - have cojones the size of beachballs.
  2. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Great article
  3. They probably charge the British Government about 10K an hour to fly the ill British soldier out.
  4. So what?
  5. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

You suggesting hes left there?

10k an hours a small price to pay
  6. Far from it. I am just saying that despite this being a US war, the US charge the UK tons of money for anything used, where as we understand that this is a combined effort and as such don't charge for stuff used.
  7. Not without precedent - ow long were we paying back the murkins after WW2?
  8. Is there evidence to prove that bills are raised against allies in a multinational military operation :?

I may be a bit behind the curve but its a new one on me 8O
  9. Good rumour but untrue - we do charge the US for anything we supply them with unless it is not worth raising the bill.

Whatever support we provide them is peanuts to their budget and we end up paying out a lot more because we use their support more.
  10. In any case, so what?
  11. Well about 10-20 years I believe. The loan that wefinished off paying them for was a post war reconstruction loan. However, circumstances were different. They sold stuff to us during that war which we were paying for at the time until they got into the war. They got into the war due to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour and Germany declaring war on them. They did not get involved in WW2 to help us, the French, Belgiums or whoever and they also came out of the war 2.5 times richer then when they went in.
    In this case we have become involved in this war directly to help them and they still want to charge us the earth, which is fine if we charged them in the same way...but we don't.

12. Well, the evidence is hearsay and from my experience, however I will say that whilst in Kuwait in Camp Boring, the yanks were charging 58 US$ per man (meal or not) and when a collegue fell ill, they wanted to charge about 10KUS$ per hour to fly him out to Germany or the UK.
    Stories I have heard from RAF chaps etc is that they charged about 25K a day for the "loan" of a herc and when they got it back they said that too many miles had been flown and so the British government had to buy it.
  13. In that case I stand corrected. However, I will say this. We should use their support less, we have the best army in the world, there is no reason to use another nations support units. We just need a government with bollocks enough to provide the right adequate kit for the job and to stop cut backs.

edited because I forgot to write a load of waffle
  14. We should use their support less, we have the best army in the world, there is no reason to use another nations support units..

Err, actually, there is.

See if you can guess.
  15. Do tell old fruit.

If there is, why do we have medics, teams similar to the one this thread is about, and a whole load of other support units? If we don't have enough, we shouldn't be commiting ourselves to wars we can't handle, but then that is another subject really.