Michael Yon with the Brits

#2
bleh, you beat me to it.


This story is even better than the first.
 
#3
Extremely good sharp-end reportage - again.

Well done Yon! Keep it up . . . . .
 

darbs

War Hero
#5
AFTER READING THAT AND THE LAST STORY IT JUST MAKES ME MORE PROUD TO BE BRITISH AND KNOW BRITISH TROOPS ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD. NUFF SAID...
 
#6
Extremely well written again Michael and dont worry when you wrote in the article:

[Just get on with the story, you say! Well this is what it was like sitting on that berm!]

I dont think anyone wanted to rush your excellent account of what took place, I for one was on the edge of my seat. Once again why cant we get British reporters like this telling what they see and show respect to all ranks?

Well Done
 
#7
Excellent reporting and a fine job by our troops.

The platoon seemed to have done this hundreds of times, but in fact none of them had ever launched a real Javelin, having only used simulators. The soldiers later told me with satisfaction that the trainer simulation was nearly identical to the real conditions of combat. The only slight difference came when the real 16kg Javelin launched, the tube rocked slightly forward. Plus now people would try to kill us and there was no time for tea.
I hope Tony and Gordon are proud of the savings they've made.
 
#8
The_IRON said:
Extremely well written again Michael and dont worry when you wrote in the article:

[Just get on with the story, you say! Well this is what it was like sitting on that berm!]

I dont think anyone wanted to rush your excellent account of what took place, I for one was on the edge of my seat. Once again why cant we get British reporters like this telling what they see and show respect to all ranks?

Well Done
Dunno that you could class Michael as a "reporter", more of a "writer" methinks - and I'll be buying his book when it's published - and he's certainly not a "Journo"!

Anyway, how many Brit writers, or even journos if it comes to that, have served at the sharp end as soldiers?

From what I've read so far, Michael certainly fits in with whichever unit he's accompanying, be they Brits or US, and is accepted by all ranks.

Good stuff Michael and thanks for telling it as it is...
 
#10
Listening to the voices on the vidoe clip, it could have been a live-fire exercise on Salisbury Plain.

Hats off.
 
#11
Bravo_Bravo said:
Listening to the voices on the vidoe clip, it could have been a live-fire exercise on Salisbury Plain.

Hats off.
Except the government won't pay for ammunition for training as reported in the article. :frustrated:

I take your point mind!
 
#14
Fantastic writing by Mr Yon (as ever) and an interesting example of an all-arms operation involving numerous ISTAR assets & direct/indirect fires.
 
#15
Dilfor said:
Fantastic writing by Mr Yon (as ever) and an interesting example of an all-arms operation involving numerous ISTAR assets & direct/indirect fires.
Fires = US-speak (at least it did 3 and a bit years ago); and I would not see us - yet - as an arm of the US military.

In the British Army, Direct or Indirect, surely the word used is still "Fire" whether Singular or Plural? :?
 
#16
Read these words from Yon, and think about the A-10 pilot from the recent Matty Hull inquest:

Michael Yon said:
We were approaching an interval when attack decision would have to be made. There was no doubt in the military part of my mind that the young soldiers wanted to fire those missiles, something combat veterans know leads to mistakes. In total darkness, primed for battle, every person out there can appear to be doing something suspicious. If the more action-oriented part of the brain succeeds in the attempt to override the part where subtle and cold judgment prevails, even the best-intended soldier or pilot could attack friendly troops
The paragraphs that follow are deeply interesting, as a description of the responsible exercise of command: not least, the young NCO (Radford) "knowing when to disobey an order".

Video clip is revealing, too, for the calm and restraint in the young major and his boys. 'king good drills.

It would be interesting to see a Spam unit doing something similar . . . . 8)
 
#18
Sven said:
This bloke really is the Dogs Bollox.

I have to say it through gritted teeth but well done the Duke of Lancs
Is that all your years (zero) of frontline infantry experience coming through?
 
#19
Stonker said:
Sven said:
This bloke really is the Dogs Bollox.

I have to say it through gritted teeth but well done the Duke of Lancs
Is that all your years (zero) of frontline infantry experience coming through?
Not all of us can be puddle jumpers Stonks. Some of us wanted to fly much more than carry out more martial tasks.

I must admit to being rather confused as to why You have the rant on with me for congratulating soldiers for doing an outstanding job - not the old bitterness showing again is it?

Edited to add - Oh You take exception to the gritted teeth - being a Yorkist I'm allowed to do that sort of thing - just as those red rose chappies on the wrong side of the border can comment in the same vein on the Yorkshire regiments
 
#20
Sven said:
I must admit to being rather confused as to why You have the rant on with me
Because you are an ignorant, self-important knob. Simple as that.

Perfect qualification for a career in politics, BTW. 8)
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top