Michael Yon-Resistance is futile: You will be (mis)informed.

More from the master blogger:

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/resistance-is-futile.htm

Several upcoming dispatches will focus on how the situation in Southern Iraq has dramatically improved over past months. Ironically, the character of this improvement is distinguished by the lack of violence, as well as the increasing order and normality as Iraqi Security Forces step up to greater responsibility for security in the region. Though the local leadership picture in downtown Basra is fuzzier now that British forces have pulled further back to begin performing their long-planned overwatch phase, it is clear that this natural progression in turning Basra over to Iraqi control has not catapulted the city into chaos.

msr

I don't care if it does or doesn't, as long as people stop by Michael Yon's blog.

He is held in high regard on this website and I am sure that more than a few have dropped a donation into his tipjar.

msr

I havent commented, purely because i think in my own opinion, the guy is spot on as usual, and is certainly one of the finest commentators on whats going on over there if not the finest, and it would be unwise for anyone not to listen to what he says.

Top man (and yes donate to the guy)

Michael Yon is without doubt one of the best news reporters you could ask for. More power to him. Anyway, Commando is on in a few mins and I am definately going to watch that.

Sorry, out of the loop on this one. Cheers for a journo? Gotta be a new one for this site.

My shot on the change on the Basra situation is that tactics have changed and there are less fig.11 targets being presented on milk runs.

No doubt somebody will correct my out of date thinking.

Being overseas gives me an excuse....so don't be harsh.

Shaggers, youll have to go through Micheals Blogs, about one of the only Reporters id trust

Assuming Michael Yawn is right, doesn't this make the whole point of us being there moot?

Devil_Dog said:
Assuming Michael Yawn is right, doesn't this make the whole point of us being there moot?
Err, yes. That's if there is such a "point" to begin with. I was told it was to do with WMD's!

WMDs? As in Weapons of Mass Distraction?

Me heart weeps. Me fecking heart weeps.

Devil_Dog said:
Thats clever, I see what you did. You took Yon and made it sound like "Yawn". Bravo. I take it you don't like to hear good news from Iraq for a change because of some anti invasion agenda?

Mikes a soldier. He doesn't speak much about why we're there, just that we are.

Instead of sitting on a forum whining about it he decided that he would help in the information war taking place that you so firmly seem to take AP reports for the gospel.

In as much as you see fit to question the motives of government reports, it's interesting how little of that cynicism is geared towards anti-war news reports. In my opinion it needs to be applied equally.

I have been in theatre since April and had the pleasure to meet the man twice, a totally down to earth bloke. There is no hidden adgenda and he is still a soldier at heart and the most important thing is that he reports the truth!

scarletto said:
Shaggers, youll have to go through Micheals Blogs, about one of the only Reporters id trust
Well. Well. Well! A revelation and an American to boot! Makes a change from the anti American, anti British drivel written by left wing scratchers such as John Pilger in the Vietnam days. Yes I agree, he's a good journalist, not afraid to seek the truth amongst all the dross passed over as "incisive comment". Send him the Pulitzer Prize for Journalism.

Send him the Pulitzer Prize for Journalism.
Now thats a thought :) Can we mere mortals nominate him for something like that? As arrsers are pro-yon (well the majority who have brains) is there anyway it can be done.

Oh and send him some money!

I have to admit i am surprised Michael Yon has not won any awards, or has he? If he was up for one i would be the first to vote. Great reading and non biased writing. Thou i expect the septics don't care to much for his writing as he makes out the British forces are as good as we bloody well know they are. THE BLOODY BEST!

Sorry for my out burst but I am British and I for one support our troops!

darbs said:
I have to admit i am surprised Michael Yon has not won any awards, or has he? If he was up for one i would be the first to vote. Great reading and non biased writing. Thou i expect the septics don't care to much for his writing as he makes out the British forces are as good as we bloody well know they are. THE BLOODY BEST!

My bold. As well you should.

There are quite a bit of Americans that read his stuff and he's been on CNN and Fox a few times. I don't think he has won any awards but I suspect that he just may.

ghost_us said:
darbs said:

My bold. As well you should.

There are quite a bit of Americans that read his stuff and he's been on CNN and Fox a few times. I don't think he has won any awards but I suspect that he just may.
About time he did, maybe if some of his reports were in the daily papers maybe joe blogs on the street would understand what our boys and the yanks are doing and going thru each day. Maybe then they would get the respect that each and every one deserves. Not sure but has Michael Yon wrote any books?

scarletto said:
Send him the Pulitzer Prize for Journalism.
Now thats a thought :) Can we mere mortals nominate him for something like that? As arrsers are pro-yon (well the majority who have brains) is there anyway it can be done.

Oh and send him some money!
My search engine is coal fired.....but managed to get www.pulitzer.org for nominations. They need examples etc: Sorry best I can do from here..

ps: there's a ten grand award.........plus the kudos of course!

From my experience an awfull lot of media reporting has been sensational rather than factual. I have even seen the BBC do it and they (as a publicly funded organisation) have no excuse. I can understand (but do not think right) why comercial chanels do this as it can atract revenue.

Every place I have served that atracted media atention tended to have it reported in a similar way. Afghanistan, Iraq, NI, former Yugoslavia. In all those places if your only information came from the news you would have a far more negative opinion than if you was actually there.

The same techniques seem to be used. The reporter always stood in front of something damaged and the camera focus was always narowed so that only the damaged area could be seen and every report was on the negative/sensational side. Positive things hardly ever being reported.

People at home form opinions on what they are shown/told. If what they are being shown/told is not the true story it is no wonder public opinion is missinformed (literally).

darbs said:
Not sure but has Michael Yon wrote any books?
He wrote one, Danger Close, that was an Autobiography (written long before any of this started). As a friend of Mike's and long time follower of his reports, I take shame in admitting that I have not yet read it.

He was writing a book called American Cannibal until one of his friends was hung from a bridge in Fallujah. He dropped the project after friends from his army days kept telling him they wanted him to come and see it for himself.

He's a good, and honest guy, and I would never tolerate an bad word towards him. The same way Mike doesn't like people going after Joe Galloway, even when he disagrees with him. Joe Galloway is equally deserving of respect and should no more be ignored than Michael Yon.