Michael Yon On General McChrystal:This War Is Above His Head

http://www.nationalreview.com/the-feed/3990/michael-yon-general-mcchrystal-war-above-his-head

Wow. Mike's taking the gloves off. Hope it isn't pissing into the wind however.

Life was good before I went to Iraq. But after three friends were killed during the GWOT, and my growing mistrust for the media and for the US Government/Military, I quit traveling the world and went to war. The United States was in peril. I am American. Today, I do not trust McChrystal anymore than some people trust the New York Times, Obama or Bush. If McChrystal could be trusted, I would go back to my better life. McChrystal is a great killer but this war is above his head. He must be watched.
. . .

Suprising, given Yon was quite supportive of McChrystal when his appointment was announced. I'd be interested in reading Yon's reasons for his apparent dissillusionment.

Yons Embed was just cut short, and he has been a bit whiney about it.

The trouble is that the comment infers that he has no trust of any higher commander, period.

It is good for a journo (and generally a good one, I'll admit) to hold strong opinions but he needs to justify statement. This one gives me the impression of paranoia.

I personally give our senior offrs credit for having a few more brains.

do you think Yon has broken ranks here? I personally have lots of time for him and will have to look deeper into this one.

MBLU said:
do you think Yon has broken ranks here? I personally have lots of time for him and will have to look deeper into this one.
No, I think he might be believing a bit too much of the smoke some folk blow up his arse. He is a good journo but still a journo........

For the last few months even before his dis-embed, he has been increasingly critical of the top brass. Of late he has a bee in his bonnet about Canadians, first their failure to secure the bridge which was hit by an IED and now about the Brig-Gen and his ND. I suppose with now not being embedded he's got no troops on the ground to write about so his picking up his stories from KAF and Kabul.

Really the war is above heads of any American or European generals.

Stormbringer (Sean Linnane) refers to the whole thing.

http://seanlinnane.blogspot.com/ (See article a little way down: Update Michael Yon)

I don't know anything about the background, so can't comment. However, the article cited by Linnane (disturbing post: Uncle Jimbo) makes interesting reading.

KGB_resident said:
And the Russian ones got it?

KGB_resident said:
Yeah, lets copy the example of the glorious Red Army in the 80s, they did so well after all...

msr said:
KGB_resident said:
And the Russian ones got it?
The Russian generals tried to win in Afghanistan and failed. So it is needless even to mention Russian generals.

Chinese? Maybe... but rather using specific oriental methods unacceptable for the West.

Bradstyley said:
KGB_resident said:
Yeah, lets copy the example of the glorious Red Army in the 80s, they did so well after all...
At least Moscow had a strong enough ally (I mean the pro-Soviet regime). But eventually that war was lost.

Yon is good at first-hand reporting on what individual units do in the field. He seems to be excessively willing to throw blame around at senior officers and then gets paranoid if something happens that he doesn't like- such as him embed being terminated.

On more than one occasion Yon has called it wrongly at the strategic level based upon 'insider tips'. There was the time that he proudly announced that the North Korean nuke test was a hoax, for example.

On this occasion I think he's probably right. This is not a slur McChrystal who is a fine officer but a comment that McChrystal is out of his depth politically.

Craven_A said:
On more than one occasion Yon has called it wrongly at the strategic level based upon 'insider tips'. There was the time that he proudly announced that the North Korean nuke test was a hoax, for example.
And was it? I've read up (briefly) on the 2006 and 2009 tests, and it seems to me that there is still room for doubt. :?

Shandy said:
Craven_A said:
And was it? I've read up (briefly) on the 2006 and 2009 tests, and it seems to me that there is still room for doubt. :?
Off topic, but the 2006 tests was either a failure, or some sort of faked up radiological device, estimated yield 1 kiloton.
The 2009 was at best a Hiroshima- sized 20 kiloton, and possibly considerably less.
My personal suspicion is that NK is trying to avoid all the intervening development work, and go straight to a miniaturized warhead suitable for missiles. This took the other nuclear powers decades to get right, so it is quite likely that there will be failures on the way.

Shandy said:
Craven_A said:
Are you an avid reader of the bloggosphere and no more?

Some people want to believe that there is room for doubt as to who dropped the wtc. Was it the cia after all?

Analysis of air samples collected on October 11, 2006 detected radioactive debris which confirms that North Korea conducted an underground nuclear explosion in the vicinity of P’unggye on October 9, 2006. The explosion yield was less than a kiloton
http://www.dni.gov/announcements/20061016_release.pdf