Michael Yon On General McChrystal:This War Is Above His Head

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ghost_us, Apr 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.nationalreview.com/the-feed/3990/michael-yon-general-mcchrystal-war-above-his-head

Wow. Mike's taking the gloves off. Hope it isn't pissing into the wind however.

2. Suprising, given Yon was quite supportive of McChrystal when his appointment was announced. I'd be interested in reading Yon's reasons for his apparent dissillusionment.
  3. Yons Embed was just cut short, and he has been a bit whiney about it.
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

The trouble is that the comment infers that he has no trust of any higher commander, period.

It is good for a journo (and generally a good one, I'll admit) to hold strong opinions but he needs to justify statement. This one gives me the impression of paranoia.

I personally give our senior offrs credit for having a few more brains.
  5. do you think Yon has broken ranks here? I personally have lots of time for him and will have to look deeper into this one.
  6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

No, I think he might be believing a bit too much of the smoke some folk blow up his arse. He is a good journo but still a journo........
  7. Again?
  8. For the last few months even before his dis-embed, he has been increasingly critical of the top brass. Of late he has a bee in his bonnet about Canadians, first their failure to secure the bridge which was hit by an IED and now about the Brig-Gen and his ND. I suppose with now not being embedded he's got no troops on the ground to write about so his picking up his stories from KAF and Kabul.
  9. Really the war is above heads of any American or European generals.
  10. Stormbringer (Sean Linnane) refers to the whole thing.

http://seanlinnane.blogspot.com/ (See article a little way down: Update Michael Yon)

I don't know anything about the background, so can't comment. However, the article cited by Linnane (disturbing post: Uncle Jimbo) makes interesting reading.
  11. msr

msr LE

And the Russian ones got it?
  12. "Really the war is above heads of any American or European generals."

Yeah right on Sergei, know any old mates who can help out ?

13. Yeah, lets copy the example of the glorious Red Army in the 80s, they did so well after all...
  14. I've admired yon this far but he does act like a 3 year old when things don't go his way.
  15. The Russian generals tried to win in Afghanistan and failed. So it is needless even to mention Russian generals.

Chinese? Maybe... but rather using specific oriental methods unacceptable for the West.

At least Moscow had a strong enough ally (I mean the pro-Soviet regime). But eventually that war was lost.