Michael Yon on Brits in Basra pullout

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ghost_us, Oct 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Glad to hear it seems to be working.

(Only managed to read the first bit, not able to view video at work).

2. He basically says that initially the pullout in Basra was chaotic but then eventually went back to normal and that attacks on the British base have seen dramatic reductions from attacks all day to maybe one a day.

Overall it was fairly cautiously positive.

3. And what are the US Press/Politicians saying about the Brits now that the expected turmoil in Basra has not come to fruition? Are they retracting statements made about the way it's all been handled or just ignoring the whole thing?

4. Watched them and consider the guy to be a good journalist. Far far better than the average media type coverage from the USA (and indeed most countries). Seems like a decent/honest man.

5. Unfortunately the US news says absolutely nothing about it. If it's not gloom and doom about the war, we don't see/hear about it on the local news broadcasts.

A good number of Americans think that we're there all by our lonesome. I do my best to educate them otherwise.

6. Some Americans think that about WW's 1&2.

British state education may also be heading down that same road to ignorance.

7. Can't say much about the Press etc, but in the big building on the Potomac where I work, the strategy is being viewed with some admiration.

8. I agree with you there. The things we used to rip the yanks for a few years are are taking over in this country. Just try asking a kid when the world wars took place, or to point out the UK on a world map.

Still, at least the yanks leave school knowing how to spell!