Michael Yon - last update

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Turk, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Flight

Flight LE Book Reviewer

Amazing article, simply amazing. It would be a sad day if this was his last correspondence whilst embedded with us...

3. Bad news. In defense of a lot of colonels I have known, they may well have been impatient due to actually having to get things done rather than going to look as is the case so often with generals.

4. Quite sickening to know that troops are still going around in Pinz vehicles, which, my sausage roll I eat earlier provides more ballistic protection.

Quite glad he reported from Inkerman, a Fob that never gets reported on, but considered to be one of the most dangerous areas in Helmand.

Interesting to know that Kajaki has a FLET, and only conducting op's defensively.

Also, what was so bad about his 'bad medicine' dispatch that made him get booted out? What are the MOD trying to cover up?

5. They didn't like his glum analysis of the situation in Helamnd.

6. Good lord. Sending money to the man now.

7. Nice to know RAF aren't the only ones afflicted with spinless middle managment *****. :x

8. Glad he's been withdrawn quite frankly. I mean to say, what place has truth in the corridors of power in this day and age?

I never agreed with free speech anyway, vastly over-rated. I'm told.

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

On the subject of FLETs, a previous NATO General in Southern Afg forbade the use of the term, as it indicated that the enemy were 'strong' in some areas. Also disallowed was any reference to minefield clearance, or anything that implied that the enemy had us pinned into FOBs.

All the while, we all knew that then, as presumably is the case now, ISAF control te areas to the range of their .50", and sometimes not even that. A very, very small %age of Helmand, I'm afraid. Nothing new, it's been that way for some years now, and nothing short of LOTS of troops - ISAF and Afghan - along with a decent Afghan Government, will change the situation.

Fat chance of either of those things happening, so draw your own conclusions.

10. Talk about own goal.

11. Huge own goal.

Now the MOD and Broon can pretend that all is rosy in the garden . . . . . 8 years on, with no resolution, lousy election turnouts, requests for more troops and kit, talk of a 20-30 year op ongoing . . . . . No, honestly, Michael Yon hasn't got a clue what he's on about, tsk tsk.

The British public aren't stupid, and dumping Michael Yon is not going to make everything work in Afghan.

12. Unfortunate that the MOD has taken the view that Yon's embedding should end. As to whether Yon gets it in black and white as to why? - doubtful.

Yon's reporting has been superb (IMO) and more power to him.

The MOD appear to be taking the "you're not acting as PR for the MOD, therefore you can pizz off" approach.

OldSnowy's comment above:

All the while, we all knew that then, as presumably is the case now, ISAF control te areas to the range of their .50", and sometimes not even that. A very, very small %age of Helmand, I'm afraid. Nothing new, it's been that way for some years now, and nothing short of LOTS of troops - ISAF and Afghan - along with a decent Afghan Government, will change the situation.

is on the money.

Unfortunately for Yon, he appears to be one for the few who comments from an informed perspective, thus allowing his readers to draw their own conclusions.

NT - Keep the sausage rolls to a minimum!

13. In fairness, I see that UK Forces Media Ops in Helmand deny that Michael's embed was cut short, whereas he clearly thinks it was. They praise his reports, including 'Bad Medicine'.

14. two last twitter posts from Yon:

"British MoD is flexing muscles to kick me out of RC-South. This would scuttle my embed with U.S. Marines."
    20 hours ago.

"Starting Thursday, going in Helmand without military. All embeds ending."
    18 hours ago.

If what he says is true and those two events are related, why are the MoD pursuing him further?