Michael Yon arrested at Seattle airport

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by yank_eyetie, Jan 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hear there's a new international organisation, Jerks sans frontiers?, of which these are evidently fully paid-up members!
  2. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Its well known amongst those who know about border control that the U.S. has the biggest quota of officious jackbooted/blackshirted (see their new spanking all black post - 9/11 SS uniforms) and paranoid cnuts in the World. A friend of mine (border control Officer for the UK) was called 'unemployed' because he was not at work - my friend said there was such a thing as 'annual leave'; He was called 'homosexual' because he said he was travelling with a male friend. Now I know a bit about Borders, and I have NEVER encountered as much hostility from a national border force directed at all walks of life from so many different nationalities as the U.S. They are the number 1 cnut force when it comes to interrogating people - most notably their own citizens.
  3. Am in US frequently for business.

I'm always asked "what's your business here". Got priceless open mouthed silence when I responded with "I'm here to buy one of your banks" (mid-crisis).

Canada has the most friendly and welcoming border staff in the world.
  4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

"I'm here to buy one of your banks"

Some good deals of late, I hear.
  5. Lend us a Tenner, mate :wink:
  6. the US goverments tourist dept has actually tried to get the border jerks to lighten up after finding there behaviour is number one reason people state for not coming back :cry:
  7. Never had a problem with US Immigration (many seem positively friendly!). the only problems I've ever come across was going into Canada (interrogatory and hostile), but that was 20 years ago.
  8. Was asked by one of these officials, what did i have in my camera ?! Told him 'film' (well thats what was in it) Told not to be funny!!

No wonder their a bunch of jerks.
  9. Never had a problem with US border guys, mind you I could recognise that they were a humourless bunch and avoided anything contentious.

Biggest problem I ever had was the grilling while leaving Israel!
  10. In my experience they vary from almost over freindly to being downright rude depending on the airport. The best I experienced was Pittburg, but they only had a job because BA was using the airport so perhaps there was some element of self interest in not pissing off the passengers.
  11. Never had a problem with septics. Went over the White Pass into Alaska and had to get the 60 day visa. They asked a few questions but since I knew most of the answers, they were ok. They seemed more interested in the fact my passport had been issued in Belfast. One of them even thought he'd recognized the accent but shame I grew up in Watford. So much for his accent recognition skills. :roll:

On my only (non Military) flight to Canada, I was greeted by the token rude (and ignorant) Canadian who only seemed interested in if I was carrying any plants. The worst time ever was leaving the UK at Dover after my mum's funeral. One over enthusiastic passport checking twat came SO close to being punched. :evil:
  12. I was asked all kinds of questions about Brazil last time I tried to get into the US (P.R from BVI) very strange it was. I was stood at the desk for about 10 minutes...no idea why and what I've done in Brazil ;)
  13. It wasn't much fun for that well known Cuban entertainer Paul O'Grady either.

So ferry 'cross the Cauto
    'cause this land's the place I love
    and here I'll stay
  14. Flying into New York the other year with my girlfriend: she was at the counter next to mine, guy inspecting my passport suggests to his mucker inpecting hers that they arrest me and then "show her a good time ourselves". Was not fecking happy and about to say something but she got there first, good girl!