Michael Ryan, Hungerford and 'Them'...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by 23GN00, Sep 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst chatting to a work colleague, the subject of Michael Ryan and the 1987 Hungerford massacre came up.

I happened to mention that a chap that worked with my wife was injured during the shootings, to which he suggested that it was a good job that the SAS finished him off when they did.

On seeing the look of suprise on my face, he suggested it was fairly common knowledge at the time and was shocked that I hadn't heard the rumour before.

I have read a little into the events that took place on the 19 August, and there seems to be a gap of almost five hours between Ryan entering the John O’Gaunt School, and the time of his suicide. Therefore, it is feasible that troops from the CRW wing could have mobilised and travelled the 80 miles from Hereford to Hungerford, and given him the good news.

But how long would it have taken for the relevent authorities to proceed with decisions regarding transfer of power (MACP)? According to the book 'HUNGERFORD - ONE MAN’S MASSACRE' by Jeremy Josephs, "The Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, holidaying in Cornwall, was kept informed on a special phone line from Downing Street." So, again, it is feasible that the respective decisions could have been made.

Can anyone shed any light on this or is it just another urban myth to be consigned to the 'Bullshit File'?
  2. bullshit move on nothing to see here
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I think he's getting mixed up with Barry Prudom.
    He was tracked by Eddie Mcgee ex SAS and killed himself at Malton Golf Club
  4. He topped himself. It is pretty much SOP for whackos like him. Read 'Hunting Humans' by Elliot Leyton.

Toole dup he may have been, but he wasn't exactly a one-man Embassy siege, or PIRA Gibraltar bomb team, was he?

I expect your mates think the Hereford Gun Club offed the Whitehaven cabbie who went postal, as well.

Tell them they are knobs, won't you, pretty please.
  5. Rumours were that they were in the area and requested permission to intervene, it was denied.

But as I said, rumours.
  6. I heard he was topped by SEAL team 6?
    • Like Like x 4
  7. To think, until that **** you could buy an AK47 from small ads in the back of magazines.
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Spelled:
    R, U, M, O, U, R, S

• Like Like x 1
  9. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

10. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Hypothetical, supposing some lunatic is running round shooting people, and a military unit is passing by with weapons and ammo. If they intervened without or before police involvement, where would they stand legally? I suppose you could make a case for self defence, but technically, wouldnt thye be using firearms illegally?
  11. His mother was charged with coercion after saying, "shoot up the town Michael and get me some fags"
    • Like Like x 2
  12. 'Kin ell guys...

What with WTC 7 and now this...

Is there a tinfoil hat festival running somewhere?

Somebody will be saying that Hamilton had an SB tail and was shot by the headmaster next!
  13. The Police would do there nut especially if somebody got enthusiastic with an Toy the
    police don't get think belt fed or a ugl etc.
    But unless it was totally over the top i.e using gmg on speeding motorists (unless in north wales then the police will pay you:))
    cps would be leaned on .

14. Legaly, unless they were being fired upon tis Murder, see Lee Clegg. CPS would have a dickie fit Mp's would go apeshit. lawyers would wet themselves, Police can only shoot pre empitavly (spelling?) with the say so of a very senior officer.
  15. Wasn't the SAS it was Harold Shipman that did him! :)
    • Like Like x 1