mice or men?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Snips, Sep 6, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well if it kicks off in Iraq and if there is a need to draft in the TA, I wonder how many will 'hand their kit in' and how many will 'fight for their Queen and country'.

Myself, I would put in the latter category, but being a bird, wouldn't be allowed to 'fight' for my Queen and country, so I'd probably 'casevac' or 'pen push' for my Queen and country.

2. Count me in the latter category too SB

But take away the bullshit, smoke and mirrors that Bluppet is feeding us.

If I'm going to go get shot at, I'd like to know there was a just cause, and not for some corporations profit. Unless I can seize a couple of oil wells all of my very own...

"if I'm going to die for a word, then that word gonna be Poontang"

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm.  Not sure if you'd have a choice!  If kit is handed in now, sure, but after the letters go out, it'll be too late.  Presumably, once the Prez signs the order, or whatever, from that moment there is no chance of jacking it.

Told my lot last week - think carefully, you're taking the Queen's money, She may want something in return.   I'll be interested to see if anyone does bottle it now, and what excuses they give.  If they do, we're best off without them.

4. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

They are about to start checking up on the whereabouts of high skill low/no liability reservist's so I guess the next group to find after reserve/TA are "recently left the TA" if you think about it it makes sense, although to acheive callout out I think the relevant act of parliamnet will be hard to get in the current climate, after all that is the main reason they did'nt try it on during "oil war 1"!

5. I understand the Queen's Order Two was signed during the Gulf War but the fact was not advertised.  It allowed the MoD to call up specific individuals and skills.  Had it really gone pear shaped they could have expanded the trawl.

6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Some questions from an ignorant TA trog with an expensive family to keep -

If (when?) we get mobilised, do we get Regular rates of pay (x-factor, etc) or some cheap version depending where we end up serving(a la FTRS)?

What about pensions?  Do we get any?  Does it get added to any previous reg service, or will it be a 'new' one?  (Selfish note here: if my 'preserved pension' gets added to this, will it all get paid at present (TA) rank, which is considerably higher than my old Reg rank!  ???)

Don't know where else to put this one - but it could be topical pretty soon!

7. GGG REF QO2 IN LAST GULF WAR. IT WAS NOT SIGNED COS THERE WAS ALL THOSE TA MEDICS WHO REFUSED TO GO AND COULDNT BE MAD TO BECAUSE Q02 HAD NOT BEEN IMPLIMENTED.

THAT WAS ONE OF THE REASONS THE MOBALIZATION RULES CHANGED

8. Executive summary re money on mobilisation.  

Take your civvy salary (last P60).  Add on TA salary and any other jobs (P60 again).  Add 5 percent.  

If result less than regular Pay 2000 military salary then smile as income will go up.  

If result between military salary and 22.5 k (juniors) and 37.5 k (seniors) then smile as you will be paid that amount.  

If result above limits then grimace as you will need to apply for Reservists Hardship Allowance which is a means tested benefit - means tested across your whole family that is, not just you.  Experience to date has shown that this is a very contentious area and very few peole feel treated fairly bu the system.  

If you will incur extra costs (ie childcare) because you will be away the system can pay them but whether or not it does depends on how loudly you protest at Chilwell.  Arrange matters before you go and you may end up arguing for months as " we never asked you to spend that money" - point out that you'll have to appeal against mobilisation if you don't get it and you may luck out.  To date it has been a lottery.  

9. Hey Sniper bird, Do you like football? I think i love you