Mi6 (SIS) had assets within UK Media....Radio 4 this evening

Just been listening to a report on the wireless: BBC News - The 'secret agents' of the UK press

In December 1968 the state-controlled Russian newspaper Izvestia ran a series of articles accusing several high-profile British journalists of being spies - listing their names and alleged codenames. The articles caused a storm of protest in Britain: the Russians were claiming journalists and editors at the Sunday Times, the Observer, the Daily Telegraph, the Daily Mail and the BBC worked directly with MI6.
All I can say is that it would be astonishing if they weren't.

In the late 80's a colleague told me of another colleague 'Jack T' who had been invited to tea at an address in Whitehall to discuss his forthcoming trip to to Sofia. He was doing something on Bulfracht a Bulgarian shipping company that had been involved in moving T type tanks about (allegedly). Our intrepid colleague had been unwise enough to blab about this to us- and was most pissed off when the two of us took the piss out of Jack's new Bond like status. None of us ever mentioned it again and he continued to visit various Eastern Block countries for some time as far as I know.

It was a well known fact that Mi5 had an office at TV centre and we continue to take the piss out of another colleague who gets his 'orders' from Thames House.

...how the BBC can run a story about possible Mi6 involvement within the Beeb without any reference to
F**** G****** at all beats me.

It would be more of a surprise if they didn't. I wonder what assets they have in the arts as well.

I expect a fair few were working for the KGB/GRU/Stazi.....

I expect a fair few were working for the KGB/GRU/Stazi.....
Well that's pretty well documented:

Kim Philby worked on the foreign desk of a few newspapers including The Telegraph.

Just been listening to a report on the wireless: BBC News - The 'secret agents' of the UK press

All I can say is that it would be astonishing if they weren't.

In the late 80's a colleague told me of another colleague 'Jack T' who had been invited to tea at an address in Whitehall to discuss his forthcoming trip to to Sofia. He was doing something on Bulfracht a Bulgarian shipping company that had been involved in moving T type tanks about (allegedly). Our intrepid colleague had been unwise enough to blab about this to us- and was most pissed off when the two of us took the piss out of Jack's new Bond like status. None of us ever mentioned it again and he continued to visit various Eastern Block countries for some time as far as I know.

It was a well known fact that Mi5 had an office at TV centre and we continue to take the piss out of another colleague who gets his 'orders' from Thames House.

...how the BBC can run a story about possible Mi6 involvement within the Beeb without any reference to
F**** G****** at all beats me.
Until very recently BBC World Service was financed by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. Certain BBC facilities of the BBC such as Caversham are also conduits for GCHQ.

Until very recently BBC World Service was financed by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. Certain BBC facilities of the BBC such as Caversham are also conduits for GCHQ.
Caversham is the archive centre I think. Allowing GCHQ to have a shufty over the odd WS broadcast is a bit different from using journos in the field as agents. It's akin to, say, Brit SF posing as camera crews.

Caversham is the archive centre I think. Allowing GCHQ to have a shufty over the odd WS broadcast is a bit different from using journos in the field as agents. It's akin to, say, Brit SF posing as camera crews.
Not quite. It's a foreign broadcast monitoring facility. Hardly a necessity for the BBC at any time and even less so in these straightened times.

T

Tremaine

Or posing as anything else, builders etc. How ridiculous.

Or posing as anything else, builders etc. How ridiculous.
I'm not sure the strategic merit of posing as a builder in Baghdad during a war would be that great...

Not quite. It's a foreign broadcast monitoring facility. Hardly a necessity for the BBC at any time and even less so in these straightened times.
The BBC Monitoring Service has been going for sometime. They get their news from foreign broadcasts as well as other sources. Nothing sneaky beaky about that. They reference it quite often when things like Chechnya break out and also when the Sovs intervened in Hungary in 56. It's been going since 1939 and has been cut back quite drastically.

The BBC Monitoring Service has been going for sometime. They get their news from foreign broadcasts as well as other sources. Nothing sneaky beaky about that. They reference it quite often when things like Chechnya break out and also when the Sovs intervened in Hungary in 56. It's been going since 1939 and has been cut back quite drastically.

Image1.jpg

Security's a bit hefty for wonderful Radio Berkshire.

I see 2 open gates and no sign of any static guards or cctv. This Makes New Broadcasting House look like Aldermaston.
actually I've just enlarged it - theres a car trap and some gardener idling by the shack

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure the strategic merit of posing as a builder in Baghdad during a war would be that great...
It wouldn't. Contractors all know each other and they only go where they are put for their contract, building things and making sure there is an adequate supply of toilet rolls. Same with NGO's who only go where donkeys need saving or a well wants dug. The only other group in a conflict zone is journo's. Who go all over the place. Pursuing a story.

If you are not a contractor or an NGO hippy and you are poodling about where the Mil are about their business, a journo is your best bet.

Full marks to the BBC and their investigative journalism skills for sussing this out.

It wouldn't. Contractors all know each other and they only go where they are put for their contract, building things and making sure there is an adequate supply of toilet rolls. Same with NGO's who only go where donkeys need saving or a well wants dug. The only other group in a conflict zone is journo's. Who go all over the place. Pursuing a story.

If you are not a contractor or an NGO hippy and you are poodling about where the Mil are about their business, a journo is your best bet.

Full marks to the BBC and their investigative journalism skills for sussing this out.

We all know each other which is the reason why they were spotted. Mum was the word... If the Iraqis had got wind, with our demeanour, physiques and gleamingness, we could have been accused of being UKSF.:winkrazz: