MI5 targets Irelands al-Qaeda cells

MI5 targets Ireland's al-Qaeda cellsGrudrian Link
The Observer has learnt that an eight-strong unit is spying on Islamists based in Belfast, Lisburn and mid-Ulster, but is also liaising via the Police Service of Northern Ireland with the Garda Siochana across the border. The revelation coincides with the arrest yesterday of a suspected Islamist terror unit in Co Kerry. Three Afghans were in custody after the Garda swooped on an apartment in Tralee and found devices they believe could be used to make bombs.

The new unit at MI5's regional headquarters at Holywood, on the outskirts of Belfast, also monitors inbound US military flights to Shannon airport in case of an Islamist terror attack on Irish soil.

All reports on suspected al-Qaeda activities across Ireland are to be handed over to the head of MI5 in Northern Ireland, Trevor Harper. He is based at the new £20m headquarters inside Palace military barracks. Last week The Observer revealed that, in the event of a major terror attack on MI5's HQ at Thames House in London, command of the security services would be switched to Holywood.

Security sources said al-Qaeda 'sleeper cells' in Northern Ireland were being watched in particular, because of suspected links to other cells in Britain. 'They operate a very tight structure, just like the IRA. There are possible links to cells on the mainland,' one source said.

A cell in Lisburn, Co Antrim, has been under investigation for almost two years after it was found to be operating out of a housing estate close to the town. Another cell believed to be operating in the Mid-Ulster area has planted roots around Portadown, Lurgan and Craigavon.

A number of suspects are believed to be working in restaurants which are being monitored. And there are said to be ongoing inquiries into those suspected of being linked to a Belfast cell controlled by Kafeel Ahmed, said to have been a leading light in al-Qaeda in Ulster. Ahmed is believed to have arrived in Northern Ireland in 2001 and enrolled at Queen's University to study aeronautical engineering, graduating in 2003. The 27-year-old stayed on at the campus as a paid researcher.
Kafeel Ahmed for minister for education? 8O

Uh... wouldn't hiring former IRA cell members to target potential AQ cell members be more efficient?

Khyros said:
Uh... wouldn't hiring former IRA cell members to target potential AQ cell members be more efficient?
Not really, those fcuking idiots couldn't find their own arrses with both hands. And the same goes double for the prod terrorists.

Terry O'Taliban! That would explain what happened to the IRA's weapons cache when they put them "beyond yous"

Lisburn, Portadown, Lurgan and Craigavon? Are they sure they haven't got an overimaginative Tout on their hands who has been short of a few bob since the LVF went to ground? Don't tell me Achmed bin Billyright

Alsacien

MIA
western said:
Lisburn, Portadown, Lurgan and Craigavon? Are they sure they haven't got an overimaginative Tout on their hands who has been short of a few bob since the LVF went to ground? Don't tell me Achmed bin Billyright
No, that would be Shamus al O'Reilly.....

Alsacien said:
western said:
........and the Northern Command COS, Al O'Akbar.

Themanwho said:
Not really, those fcuking idiots couldn't find their own arrses with both hands. And the same goes double for the prod terrorists.
Ah well... was just thinking it would be an effective manner to whack AQ types and thin the herd of former (and potentially once again) IRA antisocial types. :D

Baseplate said:
Alsacien said:
western said:
........and the Northern Command COS, Al O'Akbar.
...........and S'alab Murphy

Themanwho said:
Khyros said:
oh, I dunno, the prods did quite a good job for RUC/FRU iirc.... :twisted:

Actually, its a good point, the NI paramilitaries should be HOPPING MAD that these AQ types are in their back yard...it completely emasculates them.

Well bang goes another "op". Back to the drawing boards.

I don't know what the multi-cultural picture looks like in Ireland and I'm assuming it's nothing like the mix in the US. That being the case, are the Afghan "insurgents" wearing green suits and donning red wigs?

WTF! I would think they would stick out like sore thumbs.

"Yes my friend.. my name is achmed o'brian. - Top o' the morn to ya"

KevinB said:
Sinn Féin has been trying to get Muslim immigrants to join the party, but so far has had more luck with the Poles.
Perhaps they need to push the whole 'green' theme a bit more,common ground and all that.

I think ARRSE Members should inflitrate Republican/Loyalist websites and post messages along the lines of: These AQ boys are disrespecting you guys. You should teach them a lesson. Show them who runs Northern Ireland...

In the Green Corner: Al Queda.

In the Other Green Corner: The IRA.

In the Red, White, Blue and Orange Corner: the UVF etc.

Seconds Out...

Fight! Fight! Fight! :twisted:

cpunk

LE
littlemonster said:
...and S'alab Murphy
You mean Sa'alab Ma'fee?

Maybe Ireland could be hothoused as the world's first 'All Terrorist' country, with every citizen forced to sign up to support one faction or another? Only joking, of course, but you'd think they've got enough terrorists to deal with over there.