MI5 mole-hunter Stephen De Mowbray speaks out

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Jan 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8479807.stm

My late father, former colonel of KGB did the same job on the another side. However he didn't catch even one spy. There was one case however. A general in the ministry of defence was monitored closely but without result. There were some indirect indications that he was a traitor but no more.
  2. Oh dear, this sounds like a Peter Wright type exposé.

Does he wear tin foil hats too! :roll:
  3. The KGB first penetrated the British establishment in, or around the nineteen thirties and were subsequently the most successful spy agency in the World next to Mossad.

As far as I'm concerned the whole damn Houses of Parliament are full of communists and KGB agents.

Just look at the Milibands, a perfect example of a sleeper cell. ;P
  4. You would say that, wouldn't you. :D
  5. Wrote under the pen name 'Victor Suvarov' after he left the Soviet Union? :D
    Apparently the 3rd Main Directorate would have been better off taking EVERY Soviet citizen who liked the film "The Magnificent Seven", to the Lubiyanka, for a Sovstyle 'interview without coffee'? :police:
  6. KGB_resident - "My late father, former colonel of KGB did the same job on the another side."

And there's me thinking he worked at the American Express office across the road :omg:

7. KGB resident. In World War 2 British Intelligence received back messages from occupied Holland that their agent had contacted the Dutch Royal family who were unable to play tennis because of a shortage of tennis balls. If the RAF could make a drop shot (geddit) that would put the agent in a good light re liaison with the Dutch royals.

At the receiving end of the RAf tennis ball service mission was a lowly German Intelligence Corps Sergeant rather keen to get some tennis in.

The worst of this story is that it is true.

On the other hand was it the case that someone in British Intelligence thought "Hey that will be a bogus message from Hans, the sergeant keen on tennis, let's humour him into thinking we are more stupid than we really are, what a whizz"

You never know.
  8. I thought it was Aldrich Ames who gave everything away to the Soviets. Whenever these cases surface, there is a tendency to wonder just who was pulling the strings here during the Cold War. Come to think of it, the Russians may still be pulling them. Oh, there goes the door bell. Back in a mo...
  9. Ah, the Spycatcher paranoia revisited. And he retired to Tasmania. But the best part of the joke was that the KGB's London Rezident was working for MI6, who got him and his familiy out of Moscow when he was summoned back under suspicion. That and other incidents has long convinced me that the FSB is holding a grudge, and the affair involving Polonium is part of it.

But forget the widespread penetration of UK, at least after the 1950s. Not to say there weren't plenty of fellow travellers around - remember A Scargill's sidekick who fled to E Germany to avoid the 'British Secret Police'? But that sums up the sort of people most of them were.
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The Communist/CND background of so many of Labour's key people always made me think that the Soviets had two thoughts about our nuclear deterrent:

1. Button would never be pressed by a Labour PM.

2. Encourage massive consumption of resources (hope drain on UK capitalist economy) in UK by ensuring Labour Sec of Defence continued to spend on Polaris, Trident etc. Plus this gave access to Trident caps and lims etc.

But in the end Reagan, with Margaret's iron hand up the back of his jacket to stop him wobbling, fried the Sovs in technology with which they could not compete, due to the superiority of our free system over their slave state in fostering individual initiative. Job done.
  11. Oh dear indeed. They've really done a number on you, haven't they? :lol: