MI people

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by semper, Dec 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. we are due to get a visit off them and a general staff briefing,

could anybody tell me what sort of people they are ? i have never met any of them before so a little info about them and what they do, kind personality needed to work in MI etc .

just like to know what i am dealing with

2. msr

msr LE

I expect that's the purpose of the briefing....

msr

3. Try Intelligence Corps, if they are calling themselves MI their probably Ruperts

4. True, Int Corps is the usual moniker. Depends which area they're in I guess i.e Sigint, Humint, Imint.
    Of the regulars I've met they have all been ok - slightly quieter, more individuals as opposed to team members. Some of the ones in the TA are a bit worrying.

The Int Corps has a higher proportion of soldiers and officers with degrees and masters degrees. Academic types tend to be a bit on the nerdy side, but that's just my personal opinion.

5. If you're getting a visit from the Int Corps for a briefing I'm assuming you're about to do something silly like go to theatre, or on exercise etc and you're getting an updating brief. They will have a prat for an officer (who will be up his/her own arse) accompanied by a senior to do damage limitation and, probably, a junior to do the driving. In the regs practically all the officers have degrees, and a number of the rankers do too, and in the TA, all the officers and about 85% of the rankers do.

On the whole, you won't know if you're dealing with regs or moblised TA (except that TA tend to be older than their reg rank equivalents). You only tend to hear Int Corps refer to themselves as MI if they are trying to make an impression on the host unit about the importance of the brief/briefer ... judge for yourself. The distinction between sigint, humit, combat int is now out of date and all members of the Int Corps are now referred to as OPMIs (Operator, Military Intelligence).

Expect to be patronised by the officer and huminted by the ranks (painlessly but thoroughly questioned about your unit, home life, car you drive, etc) - they're not actually interested in you but they like to perpetuate the mystique of being all-knowing - and be prepared for throwaway remarks to come back an haunt you when you're pulled for that missing rifle in 10 years time ...

6. If you're getting a visit from the Int Corps for a briefing I'm assuming you're about to do something silly like go to theatre, or on exercise etc and you're getting an updating brief. They will have a prat for an officer (who will be up his/her own arse) accompanied by a senior to do damage limitation and, probably, a junior to do the driving. In the regs practically all the officers have degrees, and a number of the rankers do too, and in the TA, all the officers and about 85% of the rankers do.

On the whole, you won't know if you're dealing with regs or moblised TA (except that TA tend to be older than their reg rank equivalents). You only tend to hear Int Corps refer to themselves as MI if they are trying to make an impression on the host unit about the importance of the brief/briefer ... judge for yourself. The distinction between sigint, humit, combat int is now out of date and all members of the Int Corps are now referred to as OPMIs (Operator, Military Intelligence).

Expect to be patronised by the officer and huminted by the ranks (painlessly but thoroughly questioned about your unit, home life, car you drive, etc) - they're not actually interested in you but they like to perpetuate the mystique of being all-knowing - and be prepared for throwaway remarks to come back an haunt you when you're pulled for that missing rifle in 10 years time ...

7. Cheers, Oxymoron.

Doubley boring.

8. Shower of patronising *****

9. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Not withstanding the bollox appearing above, my assumption is that this is a routine security visit during which an NCO or two will ensure that you are storing things like weapons and documents properly and give you a talk on general security matters as they pertain to your location, ACF unit etc etc. It is nothing to worry about.

As a general point, they will not be trying to dig up any dirt on you, nor will they be terribly interested in what car you drive (unless you have a Lamborghini or something), where you live or what you do outside the ACF. As for the term 'MI' being Walt-ish in some way, that's just the way mainstream Int Corps units are designated these days. Ten years ago they would have been called a Security Section; thirty years ago a Field Security Section.

If you need any more info, PM me.