Mi Amigo Memorial Flypast

I and a few colleagues were fortunate to catch it on BBC live via i player today. Very well done and quite moving.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've followed this story from the first mention of it when Dan spoke of Tony and his chance meeting. It is one of those stories that makes you think that there still are some decent people around. Credit to Dan and the BBC for highlighting Tony and his 75 year vigil and pushing for such an event. Also the council for doing up the the memorial surrounds, the RAF, the USAF and everyone else who was involved. But especially to Tony. He seems a very humble gentleman who has appointed himself the guardian of the Memorial in thanks for the sacrifice these 10 crewmen of the bomber made. I would be surprised and disappointed if Tony was left off the Queen's Birthday Honours list. I think he deserves it.

An elderly friend of mine who is involved in a USAAF museum on a former airfield lived as a youngster during the war on a farm at the end of the runway. He saw many bomber movements and not a few crashes.

Not so long back, the USAF sent a heavy aircraft, probably a tanker, over the airfield as a flypast, during a ceremony at the airfield.

As he tells it, my friend was quite emotionally overcome.
The US CO nearby asked him what the matter was. He replied,
"When that plane came over, you all saw a KC135, but what I saw was a B17 as it would have been coming into land all those years ago"

The colonel presented the old boy with a medallion/token from his command- many of us tend to deride
the passing out of these keepsakes, but it meant a great deal to Tony the recipient.

Cockpit footage from one of the F15E over Sheffield today, catching the start of the missing man formation.

it would be nice if the knobs that trashed the bomber command memorial have seen the efforts Mr Foulds has made to remember those that lost their lives in the cause of freedom, and learnt from it

it would be nice if the knobs that trashed the bomber command memorial have seen the efforts Mr Foulds has made to remember those that lost their lives in the cause of freedom, and learnt from it
Where and when?

I had the pleasure of working at Lakenheath & Mildenhall a few years ago.

All of the American servicemen and women that I met were absolutely brilliant and helpful.

I'm sure that Tony won't be forgotten by them.

Thank you very much for posting those. :)
Very humbling. When the chap appeared on the One show on BBC1 and was so unassuming I had hoped that the praise and support he received was at least some comfort for him.
No worries. He said today that he is over the moon about the tribute today for the 10 men of Mi Amigo. That's all he wanted.

Watched it today with a lump in my throat, well done to Mr Foulds and all involved, his quiet dedication for all those years has been recognised in the best way possible. I'll bet if he goes down his local tonight he won't spend much.

Watched it today with a lump in my throat, well done to Mr Foulds and all involved, his quiet dedication for all those years has been recognised in the best way possible. I'll bet if he goes down his local tonight he won't spend much.
Sheffield is in Yorkshire tjough

I may be being completely out of order here, and I realize that a fly past requires a shed load of organisation and money.
But I was dissapointed not to see the Sally B in the line up, nor the lanc, a Hurricane or Spitfire.
Maybe they are undergoing intensive pre display season maintenance but it would have been nice.
I am probably totally uninformed, but I think the BBMF if at all possible should have got at least some of them up in the air.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I may be being completely out of order here, and I realize that a fly past requires a shed load of organisation and money.
But I was dissapoined not to see the Sally B in the line up, nor the lanc, a Hurricane or Spitfire.
Maybe they are undergoing extensive pre display season maintenance but it would have been nice.
I am probably totally uninformed, but I think the BBMF if at all possible should have got at least some of them up in the air.
I originally thought that, then on reflection decided it was best left as a USAF tribute, under the circumstances.

Sheffield is in Yorkshire tjough
Short trousers,deep pockets!

However what a chap, I admire everything that has gone on with the recognition and flypast, even applaud the BBC in their efforts too. But Mr Fould's said himself his guilt just get's worse with age, surely some organisation can help the man?
I'm not saying "where do you start" but anything has to be beneficial. There are very few people with those morals about today. Or feel free and brave enough to admit them.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mikal Military History and Militaria 0
BCFC Sam Finance, Property, Law 95
Spanish_Dave The NAAFI Bar 1