MG's in the UK?

This might sound like a daft question, however, are there any (legal) ways to fire/ go to to fire MG's in the UK, or is it a preserve of re-enactors with blank firing weapons?

I think the army are allowed to fire them. They used to have wives range days a long time ago, I think that could be the only scenario where a civilian could possibly fire on full auto, again it might me illegal now.

Machine guns and other "prohibited weapons" are held by certain people (export dealers, film armourers, de-activators, etc) under a special form of "Section 5" firearms licence issued directly by the Home Office. However the licence conditions usually do not allow the weapons to be tested/fired. Where firing does take place, its usually under specially-arranged circumstances, such as a demo or film shoot. Thus its generally not possible for most people to ever get a hands-on shoot.

Machine guns and other "prohibited weapons" are held by certain people (export dealers, film armourers, de-activators, etc) under a special form of "Section 5" firearms licence issued directly by the Home Office. However the licence conditions usually do not allow the weapons to be tested/fired. Where firing does take place, its usually under specially-arranged circumstances, such as a demo or film shoot. Thus its generally not possible for most people to ever get a hands-on shoot.
That settles that argument then, ta.

Civillian ballistic test houses perhaps, but certainly not for shits & giggles.

Get yerself a cheapo plane ticket to the States!

...or alternatively, I hear the Yardies are a friendly bunch!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You could join the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. They are civvies and they fire GPMGs and 20mm GAMBOs.

I think the army are allowed to fire them. They used to have wives range days a long time ago, I think that could be the only scenario where a civilian could possibly fire on full auto, again it might me illegal now.
Are the Army REALLY allowed to fire Machine Gun's??

This might sound like a daft question, however, are there any (legal) ways to fire/ go to to fire MG's in the UK, or is it a preserve of re-enactors with blank firing weapons?
There's some H4H thing run by the Army where you can fire all manner of stuff from pistols to AKs, IIRC happens mid-March at Bisley

I wanted to take my lad to Bisley to fire real weapons, he is 16, Im not, the more I looked into it, the more legislation I met, sign here, pay this, sign here pay for these tokens etc.

I cant remember what the costs were, Im sure it was something like a fiver to pull the trigger of a Barrett .50 ONCE and admire the target you had obviously hit 800m away

I wanted to take my lad to Bisley to fire real weapons, he is 16, Im not, the more I looked into it, the more legislation I met, sign here, pay this, sign here pay for these tokens etc.

I cant remember what the costs were, Im sure it was something like a fiver to pull the trigger of a Barrett .50 ONCE and admire the target you had obviously hit 800m away

Yes, the Bisley "Open Days" are supposed to attract Joe Public into shooting sports, but seem to have the opposite effect of portraying them as ridiculously expensive and bureaucratic. I'm afraid thats down to the current NRA/NSC marketing ethos and organisational skill... Unfortunately shooting is severely repressed by the Government and Police, so there is little option but to attend an open day if you want to get hands-on of one of the many different shooting disciplines - even clubs can't hold a guest day more than once or twice a year, and then have to pre-register attendees with the Police. Once you have found something that interests you - maybe historic rifles or practical shotgun - its a matter of joining a club and spending a few months going through a probationary process.

The question came about when a work mate asked, as he was watching some documentary prog and the presenter had a bash with a Vickers and an MG42, now I guessed they were at Bisley but even as Slebs they still civvies and not allowed to shoot MG's the same as the rest of us shit munchers.
However I was uncertain with permission allowed to fire strictly under some club/military supervision.

ugly

LE
There was a few years ago a Vickers MG shoot using more thann 1 MG at Bisley and set up and run by a club. It was however invitation only and no doubt a pricey event to attend, yes I wasnt invited (cant imagine why) and yes I couldnt have afforded it at UK prices.
My fave fall back is Norway where the vikings can have collectors license and shoot these guns but sadly ammo is expensive and ranges are under snow even down south for half the year. Top it off with beer prices and it needs to be a good shoot to make it worth going and a good holiday to boot!

Come to Switzerland, every day is a range day. Full auto and everything. Upon reading the title, I thought this was to go into the car section!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Weapons, Equipment & Rations 7