MG's in the UK?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by llech, Feb 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This might sound like a daft question, however, are there any (legal) ways to fire/ go to to fire MG's in the UK, or is it a preserve of re-enactors with blank firing weapons?
  2. Join up?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I think the army are allowed to fire them. They used to have wives range days a long time ago, I think that could be the only scenario where a civilian could possibly fire on full auto, again it might me illegal now.
  4. Machine guns and other "prohibited weapons" are held by certain people (export dealers, film armourers, de-activators, etc) under a special form of "Section 5" firearms licence issued directly by the Home Office. However the licence conditions usually do not allow the weapons to be tested/fired. Where firing does take place, its usually under specially-arranged circumstances, such as a demo or film shoot. Thus its generally not possible for most people to ever get a hands-on shoot.
  5. Nah, I've got flat feet, and my ovaries hurt every time I run.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. That settles that argument then, ta.
  7. Civillian ballistic test houses perhaps, but certainly not for shits & giggles.

Get yerself a cheapo plane ticket to the States!

...or alternatively, I hear the Yardies are a friendly bunch!
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You could join the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. They are civvies and they fire GPMGs and 20mm GAMBOs.
  9. s'pose there's cadets?
  10. Are the Army REALLY allowed to fire Machine Gun's??
  11. Are you really taking the piss?

12. Yes i was referring to Bollock Chop's post with sacrcasim! I guess the fact i capitalised 'REALLY' escaped you?
  13. There's some H4H thing run by the Army where you can fire all manner of stuff from pistols to AKs, IIRC happens mid-March at Bisley
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I wanted to take my lad to Bisley to fire real weapons, he is 16, Im not, the more I looked into it, the more legislation I met, sign here, pay this, sign here pay for these tokens etc.

I cant remember what the costs were, Im sure it was something like a fiver to pull the trigger of a Barrett .50 ONCE and admire the target you had obviously hit 800m away