Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MG recommission

Truxx

LE
Had a brief look underneath and it doesn’t look too bad.

Only immediate area of concern is the leaf springs which are very corroded in places.
You need to get truxette under there with her special rot measuring device.

Although it is sometimes called a screwdriver.

Although she is going to be even busier than usual in the coming weeks having landed yet another armoured car this afternoon....

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You need to get truxette under there with her special rot measuring device.

Although it is sometimes called a screwdriver.

Although she is going to be even busier than usual in the coming weeks having landed yet another armoured car this afternoon....

I might swing by next week just for a long overdue chat in person and to see some of your toys.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Had a brief look underneath and it doesn’t look too bad.

Only immediate area of concern is the leaf springs which are very corroded in places.
get a new set, or get the local blacksmith to strip them and refurb them
on my Moxford I fitted new springs then wrapped with with self amalgamating tape once I greased them
stop them rusting
you used to be able to buy wefco spring gaiters
but if they are the origionals I would recommend a new set along with the bushes, it will tighten up the ride no end

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
get a new set, or get the local blacksmith to strip them and refurb them
on my Moxford I fitted new springs then wrapped with with self amalgamating tape once I greased them
stop them rusting
you used to be able to buy wefco spring gaiters
but if they are the origionals I would recommend a new set along with the bushes, it will tighten up the ride no end

A new pair is only about 150 quid. Parts for these seem to be pretty reasonable.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A new pair is only about 150 quid. Parts for these seem to be pretty reasonable.
probably because they fit several other makes of car of the period
you might find a good wire brushing and greasing works, but after 50 odd years they tend to settle and fatigue, its a bugger when one cracks and the car settles
I did mine and the front coil springs and spring plates, even though it had only done 60k at the time
but it was 35 years parked on the springs
you feel the improvement straight away
my car had been well cared for, but I set a program of work to go through
brakes, new flexible and cylinder overhauls and master cylinder
clutch hydraulics overhaul
suspension
shock absorbers new oil
drive line etc
seemed to work ok

neil82

Old-Salt
Is there a good reason for not going DOHC 4 valves/cylinder when designing new heads for the Buick/Rover V8?
he did make a couple of 4 valve heads, worked ok at very high RPM but thats not really what you want from a road/race engine, might have interested a drag racer but they were shoved into a store room out of the way

RBMK

LE
When I had my Midget I replaced all 4 springs and shock absorbers and then stuck a thicker anti-roll bar on the front. It completely transformed the car (for the better!)

The rear springs and dampers had to be removed with a gas axe due to the mounts being rusted solid.

The other point with MGs is, of course trunnions which wear and seize unless greased regularly. I replaced both front wishbones and had them fitted with two grease nipples instead of the standard one (easy job). A couple of squirts with the grease gun every 1,000 miles and they never gave any further trouble. Same with kingpins (I renewed them as well).

Truxx

LE
When I had my Midget I replaced all 4 springs and shock absorbers and then stuck a thicker anti-roll bar on the front. It completely transformed the car (for the better!)

The rear springs and dampers had to be removed with a gas axe due to the mounts being rusted solid.

The other point with MGs is, of course trunnions which wear and seize unless greased regularly. I replaced both front wishbones and had them fitted with two grease nipples instead of the standard one (easy job). A couple of squirts with the grease gun every 1,000 miles and they never gave any further trouble. Same with kingpins (I renewed them as well).
Good advice for life in general.

Keep your trunnions greased but your rack oiled

Woodhead springs ( now on Kingstown) are worth a chat.
they made me a bespoke set new for the back of a TK Bedford for buttons.
and will do,springs for anything.

Truxx

LE
Woodhead springs ( now on Kingstown) are worth a chat.
they made me a bespoke set new for the back of a TK Bedford for buttons.
and will do,springs for anything.
Interesting. Might check them out. Normally we use a company called Owen Springs in Rotheram But unless @Ravers actually has a broken leaf or the car has visible ducks disease then a wire brush will do wonders. If they have gone flat or have breaks they can be mended and reset but buying new ones is quicker and cheaper. Although pattern parts are generally sh1t. They do parabolics for "B" s but not sure about "A"s. Unless there is a need to move a boot full of bags of cement or tow a horse box I would (as my dad would say ) leave well alone.

Last edited:

Latest Threads