Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MG recommission

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Purely out of academic interest, when did VINs start being used in the UK? I googled it but only got hits relating to there introduction in the USA in 1954.
used to be called chassis numbers, think the term VIN is fairly recent maybe late 80s?
Edit as per last yes, it was even technically possible for two vehicles to share a chassis number but very unlikely. There used to be a book in most nicks with details of where to find the chassis and engine numbers and I think details of who issued registrations, trade plates etc, called the goalie guide.

Tyk

LE
Today was a good day.

Fitted the batteries and roughly followed some of the advice on this thread. Turned it over a few times with the handle, good compression, oil pressure gauge showing good levels.

Stuck a little fuel in it, pulled the starter and it turned over.

And over and over and over.

Didn’t chug, didn’t cough or splutter.

Took all the leads off, gave them a hit of wd40, checked the plugs which all looked to be in good nick.

Tried again. Still wouldn’t fire.

Checked there was fuel coming through the lines, there was. Took the plugs out and put a few drops of fuel down the holes.

Still nothing.

Tried a quick squirt of easy start.

Nothing.

Found a brand new ignition coil on the bench. Took this as uncle Roger maybe telling me he’d bought a new one and never got round to fitting it.

So I swapped them over.

Still nothing.

So I’m a good hour or so into tinkering. Feel like giving up. I decide to give it one last try, I faff a bit with the choke, which up until now I’ve had pulled out.

I push it in, car fires up straight away.
It revs beautifully, completely smooth. All gears engage. I gingerly back it out the garage, testing the brakes as I go. I give it a few runs up and down the drive. Everything Seems to work perfectly with the exception of the handbrake which gets stuck on and needs a screwdriver to disengage it.

As I was moving the seats around a mouse ran out from under there. It’s eaten all the foam off the underside of the seats but luckily not the leather.

I was hoping to get it taxed and drive it home today but I can’t find the V5 anywhere. We’ve got MOTs dating back to 1964 and the original bill of sale, but no V5.

Looks like a trip to the post office on Monday. I just hope this weather holds out.

Happy.
View attachment 505659View attachment 505660

That really does look the absolute bollocks and it being a runner with so little effort is grand.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think you will struggle. The best place to find the chassis number when you are nowhere near the car is by looking at the logbook....

Catch 22. You are right about going into the post office and taxing it at the same time. If it were me I would not bother with a change of ownership at this stage....something to come back to once you have a V5.

Only problem with not doing the change of ownership is that the current keeper has been dead 6 years.

I’ll have to put his details on the V62 which I’m not sure is legal.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That really does look the absolute bollocks and it being a runner with so little effort is grand.

To be honest it looks a lot tidier in the pics.

When I got it outdoors into some natural light I had a chance to properly look at it.

Cosmetically it’s pretty rough. Mice have eaten the undersides of the seats, chrome is rough, scratches in places, bird shit all over it etc.

A good clean will do wonders for it, but it won’t be winning any prizes for concourse condition.

Truxx

LE
used to be called chassis numbers, think the term VIN is fairly recent maybe late 80s?
Edit as per last yes, it was even technically possible for two vehicles to share a chassis number but very unlikely. There used to be a book in most nicks with details of where to find the chassis and engine numbers and I think details of who issued registrations, trade plates etc, called the goalie guide.
Interestingly (if you are a boring spotter like me) that in the US older vehicle identities were based around the engine number whilst on this side of the pond it was the chassis number. Which is why there are twice as many supercharged K3 Magnettes around than MG ever built. See also and more recently Bugattis.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

When I got it outdoors into some natural light I had a chance to properly look at it.

Cosmetically it’s pretty rough. Mice have eaten the undersides of the seats, chrome is rough, scratches in places, bird shit all over it etc.

A good clean will do wonders for it, but it won’t be winning any prizes for concourse condition.
It's called patina, so much nicer than an over restored car, that's been painted a different colour to make it more sellable, and been retrimmed in another gaudy colour, just wax it, keep it clean and use it
You could always pay for its upkeep by hiring it for film work, but insist that you drive it, stops it getting damaged and you might get a look at felicity kendalls bum

Only problem with not doing the change of ownership is that the current keeper has been dead 6 years.

I’ll have to put his details on the V62 which I’m not sure is legal.

balls to that, keep it in his name....

handy for any parking fines or speeding points ?

and you might get a look at felicity kendalls bum

-

hijacking the thread a bit I know but if anyone wants horsepower from a rover v8 the above is where you need to go

Is there a good reason for not going DOHC 4 valves/cylinder when designing new heads for the Buick/Rover V8?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
balls to that, keep it in his name....

handy for any parking fines or speeding points ?

He’s already committing crimes from beyond the grave.

When he died he obviously forgot to SORN his cars. DVLA just issue automated fines now and if the fines don’t get paid you get an automated court summons.

He obviously failed to turn up to court, what with the whole being dead thing and was fined in absentia.

It was published in the local paper with all the other local miscreants and scrotes who’d been done for drug offences and what not.

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You could always pay for its upkeep by hiring it for film work, but insist that you drive it, stops it getting damaged and you might get a look at felicity kendalls bum

A few years back Henri Lloyd used my Landy for their autumn / winter catalogue.

I leant them my shit up old Landy for a day and in return they let me and the missus have whatever clothes we wanted from their website.

Got about a grand’s worth of clobber.

Cheers easy.

Although it does appear they had some trouble driving it. When I collected it, the overdrive was engaged and it was in low ratio 4x4.

D0CED1D6-B1D6-4345-B2A6-365DE3E8272D.jpeg
142766E2-71EA-4F3E-87AA-C01F448FB984.jpeg
A342C65F-52DB-4BA8-A3DA-CF3E724331A5.jpeg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A few years back Henri Lloyd used my Landy for their autumn / winter catalogue.

I leant them my shit up old Landy for a day and in return they let me and the missus have whatever clothes we wanted from their website.

Got about a grand’s worth of clobber.

Cheers easy.

Although it does appear they had some trouble driving it. When I collected it, the overdrive was engaged and it was in low ratio 4x4.

View attachment 505706View attachment 505707View attachment 505708
one thing that pisses me off with old cars in films, you see condensation coming out of the exhaust, yet they have apparently driven 30 miles or so !!
why dont the props people warm them up, drive them around a bit
some years back I did a film thing with the guzzi
man I looked good, I got the best looking chick on the back as well
then when I saw the finished article they dubbed a different noise onto me bike !!!!!

classy shot.JPG

Truxx

LE
It's called patina, so much nicer than an over restored car, that's been painted a different colour to make it more sellable, and been retrimmed in another gaudy colour, just wax it, keep it clean and use it
Never, ever, hire anything outforfilm work

Tyk

LE

Meh who cares! A bit of a wash and some fixing of what's far from new doesn't detract from the fact it's a classic in decent nick that looks really good.

Truxx

LE
Meh who cares! A bit of a wash and some fixing of what's far from new doesn't detract from the fact it's a classic in decent nick that looks really good.
Need to have a good look at the rather strange chassis tubes especially around the front rear spring hangers. They are boxed in and damp in them causes them to rot from the inside out

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Need to have a good look at the rather strange chassis tubes especially around the front rear spring hangers. They are boxed in and damp in them causes them to rot from the inside out

Had a brief look underneath and it doesn’t look too bad.

Only immediate area of concern is the leaf springs which are very corroded in places.

Latest Threads