Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MG recommission

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
tightening the cover is not going to go well, the gasket, no matter what its made out of is failing, nipping down the cover bolts is only going to stress the threads, strip them and you`ve got major extra work to sort it, set aside time, get the kids to feed the goats, order food from your minions in the pub and put a day into putting your motor right once instead of half a day bodging then in 6 months spending 2 days putting the cockups right:cool:

You are of course correct.

New gasket set ordered.

It allways pays to get your head in the right place, start at first principals and just do it right , first time, now you are an adult with money.
As youths we have all no doubt codged stuff because cash was tight or we just didn’t know the consiquences. ( skimming discs on a Range Rover, actually still on a Range Rover, with an angle grinder anyone ?. No ? Just me then milud).
The web is indeed a wonderful supply of dead handy life acquired tech knowledge on all things mechanical though ( one of very few information sources on the web not too contaminated by Duff gen.).

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Sadly there is a debate in the Truxx household over colour. Plan A was old english white with red leather, but having got it here I love the blue. Originally the iris blue ones had black or grey trim.

As soon as a decision is made the order goes in
Nice colour - also known as Sebring blue IIRC. My B is Tartan Red - proper sporty colour!

Tyk

LE
Nice colour - also known as Sebring blue IIRC. My B is Tartan Red - proper sporty colour!

The classic colours for the Brit sports cars all look pretty damn nice, I'm really not a fan of whites, but that white/cream (no idea what the official name is) really works especially with red leather seats.

TamH70

MIA
Glacier blue apparently. Iris blue was the 1600

The Sprite was originally Tartan red.

So there is such a thing as Tartan paint? Who knew?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
So there is such a thing as Tartan paint? Who knew?

Also comes in DPM.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The classic colours for the Brit sports cars all look pretty damn nice, I'm really not a fan of whites, but that white/cream (no idea what the official name is) really works especially with red leather seats.
Old English White I should think, a kind of creamy white.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Today was a good day.

Fitted the batteries and roughly followed some of the advice on this thread. Turned it over a few times with the handle, good compression, oil pressure gauge showing good levels.

Stuck a little fuel in it, pulled the starter and it turned over.

And over and over and over.

Didn’t chug, didn’t cough or splutter.

Took all the leads off, gave them a hit of wd40, checked the plugs which all looked to be in good nick.

Tried again. Still wouldn’t fire.

Checked there was fuel coming through the lines, there was. Took the plugs out and put a few drops of fuel down the holes.

Still nothing.

Tried a quick squirt of easy start.

Nothing.

Found a brand new ignition coil on the bench. Took this as uncle Roger maybe telling me he’d bought a new one and never got round to fitting it.

So I swapped them over.

Still nothing.

So I’m a good hour or so into tinkering. Feel like giving up. I decide to give it one last try, I faff a bit with the choke, which up until now I’ve had pulled out.

I push it in, car fires up straight away.
It revs beautifully, completely smooth. All gears engage. I gingerly back it out the garage, testing the brakes as I go. I give it a few runs up and down the drive. Everything Seems to work perfectly with the exception of the handbrake which gets stuck on and needs a screwdriver to disengage it.

As I was moving the seats around a mouse ran out from under there. It’s eaten all the foam off the underside of the seats but luckily not the leather.

I was hoping to get it taxed and drive it home today but I can’t find the V5 anywhere. We’ve got MOTs dating back to 1964 and the original bill of sale, but no V5.

Looks like a trip to the post office on Monday. I just hope this weather holds out.

Happy.
439D2972-90C1-4F3E-819A-44134228558F.jpeg
0325AD1E-E13D-41CC-88D0-1D6EBDA2E60A.jpeg
8E744315-A71A-4E21-9146-D1142A702D42.jpeg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Today was a good day.

Fitted the batteries and roughly followed some of the advice on this thread. Turned it over a few times with the handle, good compression, oil pressure gauge showing good levels.

Stuck a little fuel in it, pulled the starter and it turned over.

And over and over and over.

Didn’t chug, didn’t cough or splutter.

Took all the leads off, gave them a hit of wd40, checked the plugs which all looked to be in good nick.

Tried again. Still wouldn’t fire.

Checked there was fuel coming through the lines, there was. Took the plugs out and put a few drops of fuel down the holes.

Still nothing.

Tried a quick squirt of easy start.

Nothing.

Found a brand new ignition coil on the bench. Took this as uncle Roger maybe telling me he’d bought a new one and never got round to fitting it.

So I swapped them over.

Still nothing.

So I’m a good hour or so into tinkering. Feel like giving up. I decide to give it one last try, I faff a bit with the choke, which up until now I’ve had pulled out.

I push it in, car fires up straight away.
It revs beautifully, completely smooth. All gears engage. I gingerly back it out the garage, testing the brakes as I go. I give it a few runs up and down the drive. Everything Seems to work perfectly with the exception of the handbrake which gets stuck on and needs a screwdriver to disengage it.

As I was moving the seats around a mouse ran out from under there. It’s eaten all the foam off the underside of the seats but luckily not the leather.

I was hoping to get it taxed and drive it home today but I can’t find the V5 anywhere. We’ve got MOTs dating back to 1964 and the original bill of sale, but no V5.

Looks like a trip to the post office on Monday. I just hope this weather holds out.

Happy.
View attachment 505659View attachment 505660View attachment 505661
Just a thought is the V5 online anywhere?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
last logbook was issued in 2012, thats when they had to change them after some dodgy person printed a few for their mates
if you have a picture of the last log book you can change the owners details online
you need the 14 digit number

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just a thought is the V5 online anywhere?

I didn’t know online V5s were a thing?

To be honest it’s just a 25 quid fee and a quick trip to the post office. Need to fill out a V62 and then we’re good to go.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

To be honest it’s just a 25 quid fee and a quick trip to the post office. Need to fill out a V62 and then we’re good to go.
I always do it online when a sell a vehicle, I sold my daughters car last year, and the bird that purchased it seemed to be a complete airhead, so I did it straight off
just as well
she got nicked for no insurance and it was uploaded, cost her the price of the car to get it back

Truxx

LE

I did one recently without going near a post office.Just download the form (V62?) wrote a cheque and post it off.

But

Whilst online changes of ownership are going through with a 5 day turnaround the same cannot be said for paper transactions. I made an application for a replacement V5 in May. I got the v5 about a week ago.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I did one recently without going near a post office.Just download the form (V62?) wrote a cheque and post it off.

But

Whilst online changes of ownership are going through with a 5 day turnaround the same cannot be said for paper transactions. I made an application for a replacement V5 in May. I got the v5 about a week ago.

This could be quite complicated as the current registered keeper is dead.

Apparently I can tax it at the same time as sending off the V62 at the post office. So hopefully should just be a case of going to the postie next week and then it’s all legal.

Doesn’t really matter if it takes 6 months for the V5 to come in the post.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don’t suppose any of you motor trade chaps have access to an online database where I can get the VIN for this car?

I stupidly forgot to take a note of it today and I need it to apply for the new V5.

To save me doing a 30 mile round trip, or phoning an 83 year old woman and trying to explain how to find the number on the paperwork, any chance you could just run a check on the car and find the VIN online? I know most motor traders have access to parts databases and what not where you can get the number.

Pretty please.

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
Purely out of academic interest, when did VINs start being used in the UK? I googled it but only got hits relating to there introduction in the USA in 1954.

Truxx

LE
I don’t suppose any of you motor trade chaps have access to an online database where I can get the VIN for this car?

I stupidly forgot to take a note of it today and I need it to apply for the new V5.

To save me doing a 30 mile round trip, or phoning an 83 year old woman and trying to explain how to find the number on the paperwork, any chance you could just run a check on the car and find the VIN online? I know most motor traders have access to parts databases and what not where you can get the number.

Pretty please.
I think you will struggle. The best place to find the chassis number when you are nowhere near the car is by looking at the logbook....

Catch 22. You are right about going into the post office and taxing it at the same time. If it were me I would not bother with a change of ownership at this stage....something to come back to once you have a V5.

Latest Threads