Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MG recommission

I have been quoted 500 quid for a set of brand new Italian leather covers to do the seats on the mga.

A complete trim and carpet kit is about a grand.
Don't know about the carpets but tbh the seat price looks not too bad. I'd pay about the same for my Mk1.
But I wont......I'll get them recovered.

Sadly there is a debate in the Truxx household over colour. Plan A was old english white with red leather, but having got it here I love the blue. Originally the iris blue ones had black or grey trim.

As soon as a decision is made the order goes in
Oh...I think Iris Blue hits my hot spot. FWIW

@Ravers;
I've got one of these in the loft.
Last seen on my Crappi 2.8i
1600357186597.png

Was my Dads but I'll never use it now...and come the day our kid will just hoof it to the dump. If you want it to complement the AA badge...let me know and you can have it FOC. I'd rather that it ended up on a classic.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
what petrol do you use ?
I had a low speed misfire on the guzzi, Antonio my mechanic checked everything, turned out to be fuel related , I now use the higher octane stuff and no problems, something to do with ether in the mixture

I’m pretty religious about running it on high octane Shell V Power.

Just whipped the leads off as per @Truxx’s instructions.

One of the spark plug wells is full oil.

Im guessing that’s not good.

And of course being a Ferrari, the spark plugs require an 18mm tool as opposed to the more usual 16 or 21mm, so I can’t check if it’s just a loose plug.

Ordered an 18mm one off Amazon. Really hoping it’s just a loose plug.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Ravers;
I've got one of these in the loft.
Last seen on my Crappi 2.8i
View attachment 505210

Was my Dads but I'll never use it now...and come the day our kid will just hoof it to the dump. If you want it to complement the AA badge...let me know and you can have it FOC. I'd rather that it ended up on a classic.

That’s really kind of you.

As much as I would love to take that off your hands, it already has an older style RAC badge on the grill.

Maybe Truxx would like it for his?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I’m pretty religious about running it on high octane Shell V Power.

Just whipped the leads off as per @Truxx’s instructions.

One of the spark plug wells is full oil.

Im guessing that’s not good.

And of course being a Ferrari, the spark plugs require an 18mm tool as opposed to the more usual 16 or 21mm, so I can’t check if it’s just a loose plug.

Ordered an 18mm one off Amazon. Really hoping it’s just a loose plug.
That may be very not good at all. Do you have a compression tester? Stand fast misread it thought you said oil on the plugs.

As much as I would love to take that off your hands, it already has an older style RAC badge on the grill.

I guess so. I had it in mind the older one would be thief fodder, but if Truxx would wish it, then "Truxx get in touch" via PM. Just want it to have an appropriate end......on a decent classic...which a Roadster Mk1 ain't!

Last edited:
I would not paint it at all, There are plenty of shiny restored old cars around but I love the Rat look, and the patina on that is outstanding.
Except, and it will not be lost upon Truxx, it's also suffering from perforations and as such in the UK climate before long it will degenerate even more.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That may be very not good at all. Do you have a compression tester? Stand fast misread it thought you said oil on the plugs.

Nah, it’s just in the well that the plug sits in.

A bit of googling says it’s pretty common on these. The valve cover gaskets deteriorate over time and start to leak.

Can sometimes be sorted by tightening the valve cover, but probably needs new gaskets which is obviously a cover off job.

Deep joy.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer

A bit of googling says it’s pretty common on these. The valve cover gaskets deteriorate over time and start to leak.

Can sometimes be sorted by tightening the valve cover, but probably needs new gaskets which is obviously a cover off job.

Deep joy.
Torque wrench so as not to warp the cover and start gently, working from the middle out like a cylinder head.

Truxx

LE

Bit too soon to be thinking embellishments....

I am up to my armpits researching fitting a wild crane cam....

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
Except, and it will not be lost upon Truxx, it's also suffering from perforations and as such in the UK climate before long it will degenerate even more.
The worst bits are the sills and the bottom couple of inches of the rear wheel arches. The only other perforation we have found thus far is about an inch and a half in one of the boot seams where a single 12v battery has been fitted. Even the tank and tank straps are in good shape . But I priced up a couple of front wings second hand rust free at under 200 a side so as long as the chassis is sound I am happy.

This does not include the plywood floor edges which are ratty in places.

There is a massive Rat scene in the states and I seem to recall that they make good anything structural and use A matt clearcoat to seal over the old paint and rust.

There is a massive Rat scene in the states and I seem to recall that they make good anything structural and use A matt clearcoat to seal over the old paint and rust.
Hope you like this.
Got a mate in the Mx5 OC scene who likes upsetting the Grumblenuts at concourse events taking his Dad's Riley.
Took him yonks to get the decent Rat finish.
This Riley underneath is as new by the way and goes very well indeedy......not as intended
Twin S.U.'d B series & tight suspension etc.... I think
( cough).
1600363236193.png

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
On the subject of “rat look” and patina, I saw this on a Landy group the other day.

This series 3 actually looked alright, relatively new paint job.

The owner decided to add his own “patina” with a belt sander and a tin of silver spray paint.

Looks like he’s tried to make a replica of mine, which has 50 years of real patina.

C5A024D2-F14F-42C8-94B4-44BD7DCD99CC.jpeg
91124C9F-C597-4FDD-946F-3D7B2AF9C518.jpeg
81537380-028E-4449-B29F-6EF5F0BA7E28.jpeg
3E4AFB90-D5F0-477B-93F4-857A8691C063.jpeg

Be well worth joining the MG owners club, it's been a long time since I was in it, but it used to be excellent.

After my second tour in the FI , I was sharing a room there with another Cpl and he had a MGB GT LT , one of the last to be built, I got into the cars and as he was a member of the club he got the magazine every month. So what to do with the cash I had saved? Sorted . First day back on leave bought a MG Midget, 1974 , red , round arches , chrome bumpers and wire wheels. Thought I was a WW2 RAF pilot.

Filling up in a petrol station in Hereford, filled up , paid . Jump into the Jalopy. Turn the key , wirrrrr, wirrrr , wirrrr.

Bugger what is wrong?

Did not notice the MG behind me, old chap walks over with a hammer in his hand?

“Oh don’t worry , pop the bonnet and when I say try the key again”

OK?

He lifts the bonnet , waved , I turn the key and hear a knock , knock . Motor starts.

He walks back saying , “It happens sometimes , the Bendix on the starter motor jams, needs a few taps to release it. You should join the MG owners club.”

Great, few months later I was working at RAF Boulmer and had saved enough to get a new paint job, unfortunately I drove , skidded through a hedge so got the AA to take me to the local MG restorers where I was told.

”It’s a death trap mate , needs a lot of work to make it safe for the road.

Bugger that the paint job gone .

Paid for the work , drove back to the Base, paid a few quid with T cut and cleaning products and sold it to a Flt Lt in the RAF . Losing about 1000 quid , a lot of cash in those days for me 1987.

neil82

Old-Salt

Deep joy.
tightening the cover is not going to go well, the gasket, no matter what its made out of is failing, nipping down the cover bolts is only going to stress the threads, strip them and you`ve got major extra work to sort it, set aside time, get the kids to feed the goats, order food from your minions in the pub and put a day into putting your motor right once instead of half a day bodging then in 6 months spending 2 days putting the cockups right:cool:

Latest Threads