Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MG recommission

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
The MX5 is due a service and MOT in the next month.

In the intervening 12 months I have done the grand total of....

Washing it a few times, vacuum cleaning the interior.
Periodic checks of oil, water, brake fluid and tyre pressures.

The utter pain of it.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

The utter pain of it.
oiled the scissors and checked the heated rollers?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
oiled the scissors and checked the heated rollers?
2.0 litre and [cough] about 180bhp
You will need a hairdresser if you come for a ride with me.
Did RAF Cranwell & back with the lid down both ways. :)

The utter pain of it.

I was about to say......watch out for our Dingerr, Helm, and one or 2 other ferkers.
Know wot? Fuk 'em all. I've got two of 'em.;)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I doubt it mate I'm used to real cars with proper engines :plotting:
Of course sometimes it gets a bit too exciting!
First few seconds
*caveat I wasn't driving

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Batteries have arrived. Just spent a cathartic afternoon cleaning out the garage to make space for the MG.

It’s amazing how many tins of half used paint one seems to accumulate.

Heading over on Saturday to get it going. Fingers crossed.

In other classic car news, I spent a few hours on the Landy over the weekend. Gave it its two yearly clean. Changed an indicator unit because the old one had worn down and the bulb didn’t seat properly. Otherwise she’s running sweet. Of all the classic cars I’ve ever owned the Landy gives me the least amount of hassle.

Ferrari appears to be running on 7 cylinders. Lost a bit of power and doesn’t feel very smooth.

Because it’s a Ferrari the spark plugs are awkward as **** to get to. Probably overdue a new set to be honest.

A job for another day.
what petrol do you use ?
I had a low speed misfire on the guzzi, Antonio my mechanic checked everything, turned out to be fuel related , I now use the higher octane stuff and no problems, something to do with ether in the mixture

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
BBR tweaked or summat?
160bhp as standard, actually on the dyno at 165, gas flowed exhaust and air filter plus mild remap so it's still driveable in town. slightly over 180bhp and the man says I can have more if I'm prepared to spend, but not worth it on a 13 year old car.

Quick enough to get me in bother!

Truxx

LE
what petrol do you use ?
I had a low speed misfire on the guzzi, Antonio my mechanic checked everything, turned out to be fuel related , I now use the higher octane stuff and no problems, something to do with ether in the mixture
Ethanol. Being hygroscopic it attracts damp and shags the fuel, especially after a month or so. Advice is regular running and keeping tanks full to avoid condensation.

It also shags certain butyl based components over time but that's a whole other story.

We are currently limited to 5% ethanol, but the EU want us to adopt 10% (E10).

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
In the Daily Wail today
1600355488344.png

I am definitely in the James Hunt supporters group.
Posted by Kimi Raikkonen BTW

Well well well. Goodbye Armstrong Siddeley hello little sexpot....
View attachment 505191

What's the procedure to bring the bodywork up to scratch? How does one remove the rust completely? If there's any at all under the new paint, it'll come back, so how is it dealt with? Genuinely curious as to how to prevent recurrence. I have a steel cabinet saw in similar age/condition that I'd like to restore, but a bit worried about eradicating the rust as a first step.

Truxx

LE
I have a motor outside with a 2 litre 5 pot and 220 horses.

I also have a plug and play chip in the drawer here that turns that into 250 for 29 quid.

But having owned it for all of its 20 years I have never, ever been driving along and thought "ooo I wish I had a few more horses". So the chip has stayed in the drawer.

Truxx

LE
What's the procedure to bring the bodywork up to scratch? How does one remove the rust completely? If there's any at all under the new paint, it'll come back, so how is it dealt with? Genuinely curious as to how to prevent recurrence. I have a steel cabinet saw in similar age/condition that I'd like to restore, but a bit worried about eradicating the rust as a first step.
We normally blast back to bare metal then immediately etch prime. But I swear by a stuff called Fertan which is a rust converter. Remove as much of the loose crud as you can with a cup wire brush then liberally apply Fertan with a big brush or garden spray.

Leave it overnight. Pressure wash it off. Anything loose will wash off, any pitting will just stay black. Make sure its bone dry (use a heat gun esp.on the joints). Etch prime and Robert's your fathers brother.

I have a chassis outside that was treated and primed in 2008 and has sat outside since. Still in great shape.

In general terms, if the rust is superficial and no perforation is evident, bare metalling.
If perforation has happened to a decent extent, new panels/components.
If perforation is small coin size or less, in the right hands, cut out and weld.
Ask me how I know......
No, don't......
My Mk2.5.

My Mk1.

Saved.

Truxx

LE
I'd take their hand off at that price.
Sadly there is a debate in the Truxx household over colour. Plan A was old english white with red leather, but having got it here I love the blue. Originally the iris blue ones had black or grey trim.

As soon as a decision is made the order goes in

Latest Threads