MG 42 we bow down before you

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by sardine, Mar 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The MG 42/ MG3 is the best machine gun ever made, whos with me ?
  2. Call that a machine gun?

Now this is a machine gun:

And if you're still not convinced, there's always it's big brother:

3. This is going to be a shit thread
  4. .50 Vickers? you must be ******* joking???
  5. Does the HK GMG count as a machine gun ?
  6. I couldn't find a photo of the 40mm Vickers. :cry:

But here's two of the 1":

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. Of course, there is the 37mm:

After that it gets confusing - Vickers produced a few 40mm weapons, but I'm not confident that I've found the 40mm MG as it should look very simlar to the 37mm.
  8. Too high a rate of practical fire
    Pulls forward on bursts disrupting aim
    Original Bolt design allowed for firing out of battery under Wartime manufacturing standards
  9. Based upon the KPV guns 14.5mm Cartridge originally designed for the PTRD & PTRS Anti-Tank Rifles.

Rolls Royce was developing a Machinegun which was chambered for .55 Boyes for the RAF when orderd to stop work in 42.

1,000RPM, just imagine a Tail turret with 4 of these babies rather then the anemic .303 Colt Brownings
  10. [wahshield on]

Seeing as GMG stands for Grenade MACHINE GUN the clue could be in the name.

[wahshield off]
  11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Why do you think FN used the MG42 as the base for it's new Machine gun in the 50s, and found it wanting so they nicked the best bits from it and the Browning BAR and came up with a much better gun the FN MAG and that's why it is used by over 80 countries and still in production 55 years later, It will IMHO like the Browning M2 be in production for a very long time as it is without doubt the finest GP MG ever made to date
  12. The Vickers MG (variously updated) saw service in the British Army from 1887-1968. 81 years. I doubt that the GPMG will still be in service in 25 years time.

Different times, different roles. Doubtless there are still occasions where the Vickers would be more suitable than the GPMG - but if I had to lug a machine gun, I wouldn't choose the Vickers. In a static defensive position, though, it would be hard to beat for sustained fire.
  13. Wrong.

It's a baddies gun and will be forever contaminated with badness, anyone touching one or looking at one will become infected and morph into a Hilter Youth SS Walt zombie, mumbling "My precious" to his Hunnish murder implement. All remaining MG42s should be cut up, melted down into billets and dumped in the deepest ocean trench. Then the trench should be filled with concrete. Besides which it eats ammunition at a phenomenal rate.

GPMG. Bren for the retro appeal.

However the greatest machine gun ever is definitely the ....

.. SLR with a matchstick under the sear.

No contest.
  14. The Browning .50.........end of..........wins hands down.........can't be beaten.