MFO boxes. Who is liable?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Rossy, Dec 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Hope this is the right place for this...
    When I forward my MFO's abroad, if the contents get damaged or lost through no fault of my own who is liable for the insurance?
    I don't think I should have to pay for kit insurance as I wouldn't be the one who lost or broke it and as I'm aware they army now contracts Pickfords to move kit, could be wrong. I would assume that whoever it is has some form of insurance so they are not liable.
    I have not spoke to the RQMS department as I'll no doubt have some lifer tell me the wrong information about how "it's my kit, my problem". As far as the law is concerned, if it's in their possession then they should be liable for damages incurred, surely?

Thanks - Ross
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Oh the innocence of youth.

Whatever anyone tells you, just make sure your kit is insured.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You buy the insurance and claim it back through as an unaccompanied baggage move.
  4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Well your a ******* idiot if you don't insure your kit. If your house burns down after being struck by lightening who is liable, God?
    • Like Like x 3
  5. You edited it and ended up calling him a ******* idiot because knob was too harsh!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. My home contents are covered under my home contents insurance, however I could be "The man who sued God"...

My Mil kit is insured too, it's my personal equipment that I'm more concerned about like TV PC etc as the insurance only covers so much of it. I will probably just have to increase it as I should do anyway.
    What I'm getting at is you'd think the people who handle our kit would have some kind of cover for when they throw it around.

Thanks Horridlittleman
  7. So, according to you, you already know the answer and anything else is wrong! You make a statement about law, I take it that you have read the full contract between MoD and Pickfords and are a legal whizz in these matters...No? Thought not! Now just take out the kit insurance for the movement and stop bleating! :roll:
  8. If your home contents and your military kit are covered under your insurance then why wouldn't your TV or PC be - surely they would be covered under your home contents?
  9. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

No No No, I was saving ******* idiot for his second post.
  10. As the home insurance covers what's at home. It's a private house. not a pad.
    Insurance companies cover military kit up to a certain total value and personal kit up to a certain total value (£3500 or £5000 I think), if the contents go over then i'm not covered.
    I'll just increase the kit insurance to cover it all.

Recce19 - If you can quote then you can read it first, the question mark at the end meant I was asking a question. Not making out I know the law...

Anyway, I've got to hit the road. Have a good weekend
  11. You get angry quite easily don't you?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. So even though you need kit insurance anyway you weren't going to increase it to cover the contents you had just because you thought if anything happens during transit you could sue the contractor? I assume that at the point of collection by yourself the kit was never going to get broken, lost or stolen?

What a ******* stupid thread.

I'm disappointed that I gave you a sensible answer initially.
  13. Don't wind him up or he'll call you a knob, it's more harsh than '******* idiot'. ;-)
  14. You would not believe the amount of stuff that goes missing in transit.

Furniture movers are well known for things going missing.
  15. Rossy, has ALL your stuff gone missing?