MFAW request

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Lynda, Aug 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before you read this message please let me reassure you that I do not wish to upset any one. I actively campaign on behalf of MFAW (Military Families Against War). My son is currently serving in Afghanistan and was in Iraq last year. He is extremely proud of his regiment and I'm extremely proud of my son and the work he undertakes.

MFAW support the troops 100% and campaign on their behalf to improve their facilities, weapons and well-being etc. A letter was sent to Gordon Brown from MFAW and this has been posted on our website. It contains information on our campaign for any of your members who still have no knowledge of our existence.

On Tuesday 5th September I will be outside the Miltary of Defence in London with other members and Rose Gentle, who founded the group after her son was killed in Iraq. We are trying at present to bring to the attention of the Government the need for dedicated military hospitals for our injured troops. If any of your members would like to join us the details are on our website: - they would be very welcome.

I will also be speaking (on behalf of MFAW) at a meeting in London a week later. The meeting is being organized by Stop the War. I know that our troops are trained to fight and defend our country but I (and many others in our group) feel that Britain was taken into Iraq illegaly and into Afghanistan with no consultation. I would like to feel that our forces are peace keepers and not being put into battle situations for Government gain.

I will be speaking to the general public to emphasize the lack of effective equipment and health care etc. that our forces have at present compared to other multi-national forces. I worked at Selly Oak Hospital and I do not personally agree with a mixed ward of military and civilian personnel. I can sympthaize with my son with what he's doing at present but I cannot empathize with him as I have no idea of what it's actually like to work in theatre. If I cannot, how can members of the general public? Selly Oak is also an ethnic community and not everyone looks favourably on our forces.

I work in an NHS hospital and was told this week by one of the doctors that in his home country of India the military have their own hospitals which are of a high standard. This puts ours to shame. If Gordon Brown has the welfare of the troops in his best interests why do we now have a part-time MOD leader in Des Browne? Should not this position require a full-time minister?

I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any issues they would like us to raise on their behalf with regards to their welfare or needs? Most of what the general public hear is Government spin.

We have, along with other organizations, campaigned for free postage for parcels to theatre and have recently been successful. This, we hope, is just the beginning.

Any information would be treated as annonomous and greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you
  2. Your personal convictions may be honourable but I suspect vested interests have and will infiltrate any organisation like 'Stop the War'.
    I therefore think you will get short shrift on this website.
  3. Thank you for your reply. Can I please just assure you that I am not a member of the Stop the War organization.

As STW has experience in arranging meetings MFAW find it easier to speak to a broad spectrum of people as we do not have the facilities or experience to arrange these.

Our concerns are primarily the welfare of our troops and their families.
  4. msr

msr LE

Military Families Against War support the troops 100%.

There seems to be a contradiction here.

If you are concerned about the welfare of the families and soldiers, can I suggest you speak to the Royal British Legion about their 'Broken Covenant' campaign?

5. Is this a waaahhh?
  6. I don't see it, myself. I know a number of serving who are against the wars, and not just because they're fighting them. It'd be a bit odd to accuse the troops of not supporting our troops.
  7. Military Families Against War
    It's an oxymoron
  8. Carrots I think the contradiction comes from the name MFAW including the words 'against war' It doesn't say against 'the wars' which might mean those going on at the moment that we are involved in.It seems to read that these are the famillies of military personnel and they are against war. By the very nature of the Forces this is a contradiction. When one joins up , one knows that the chance of going to war , at some point, is there. So what they are basically saying is 'I support your decision to join the Forces and get a trade and get paid just so long as there is no war involved' In which case they are only supporting our Forces so long as they don't have to go to war.
  9. Halo I see what you mean by the name, and agree it should of read 'against the wars'. This will no doubt cause confusion.

Lynda good luck in your efforts.
  10. Makes for even more confusion when their own people don't post their correct title :wink: Although that then begs the question 'which war?' :twisted:
  11. msr

msr LE

And more specifically The war in Iraq.

Either way, I suspect the shrift will be short.

12. Thank you all for your replies. Firstly, can I reply by saying that I do know about the 'broken covenant' organized by the Royal British Legion and have signed my name for that and have forwarded the information to my contacts.

Secondly, MFAW was initially started by Rose Gentle, after her son's death, as our troops were sent into Iraq which broke International Law. The title Military Families Against the War was initially given as we were only fighting in Iraq.

Thirdly, as the UN has 36 member countries why does the UK supply 20% of the occupying force?

My only interest and that of MFAW members is to try and help bring to the attention of the wider public the truth about what is happening in theatre eg. the lack of much needed equipment, frequency of tours of duty and underfunding etc.

If you have any doubts about our aims please look at the website: - this gives you the truth from family members and not government spin.
  13. and Yet, Hackle, they place articles like this and this on their website

It is the letter quoted below which, I believe, demonstrates MFAWs stance on both wars and - no doubt - any other that are prosecuted in the future.

The bold is mine

14. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Don't follow the logic of this lady. Her son only joined the Army because he was unemployed and supported him because of the unemployment situation where ever they live, but she doesn't want him to go to war. Time for a reality check me thinks.