Mexico - Narco-state in the making?

I know there have been various threads in various forums previously, but the levels of violence and willingness to take on the authorities seems to be getting worse and worse.

'Mexican state police clashed Saturday with a group of heavily armed gang members in the northern town of Villa Union, about 65 kilometers (40 miles) from the US border, local authorities said. Four officers died and six were wounded in the hour-long confrontation in the state of Coahuila. At least 10 of the shooters were killed, Coahuila Governor Miguel Angel Riquelme said.

'The group reportedly entered the town of 3,000 inhabitants in a convoy of pickup trucks before storming local government buildings at around midday. Speaking outside the bullet-ridden town mayor's office, Governor Riquelme told reporters the state had acted "decisively" to repel the gunmen. He said they were members of the Cartel of the Northeast, which is from the neighboring state of Tamaulipas. A number of municipal workers were missing, he added.'

In the making? :oops:
Verbatim what my response was when I saw this in New Threads.

I have the great misfortune to go to Cancun at least once a month. The air of menace about the place is palpable and we have recently moved hotels from the commercial district out to The Strip. Such sudden and explained moves are usually based on Need To Know from our Security Dept.

I hate the place. On the one hand it’s rammed with Yank teens who can buy a gun but not a beer back home so they come down mob handed and every bar is full of the “scream if you’re from Oklahoma” type cretin. Full of tequila. Walk outside for a bit of air and it’s all surly types looking shifty and wearing jackets in 40 degree heat and impoverished locals walking fast in the general direction of away.

Lots of Nissan pick ups loaded to the gunwales with hard looking types tooled up to the max with automatics, pistols and Kevlar. No idea where they go when it (frequently) kicks off.

Fly through Mexico City and look out for the matt black 727s with Polizia Federale painted down the side. Con Air eat your heart out.

Idyllic holiday spot all in all.

Its only a matter of time before septic troops are "Helping the authorities" of Mexico clean up and maintain order over their border, all with extreme prejudice. If they do not already have covert observers there.

Last edited:
I've got to go there again next week... :confused:

What Croydon?...Oh Mate, you have my deepest sympathy! Don't forget,, Respirator, steel caped boots, anti stab vest, tin of MACE, a 9mm of some description, and a body guard, if not seen, or heard from after 36 hours,................ you're on your own.

What Croydon?...Oh Mate, you have my deepest sympathy! Don't forget,, Respirator, steel caped boots, anti stab vest, tin of MACE, a 9mm of some description, and a body guard, if not seen, or heard from after 36 hours,................ you're on your own.
Sadly, I shall only have my quick wits, natural charm and good looks...

In which case, you're screwed. What size are your boots; asking for a friend?

In which case, you're screwed. What size are your boots; asking for a friend?
He’s right. Your natural assets will be no match for the melted stickle brick faced, feral cunning of all the latent doctors, engineers and ballet dancers shuffling through damp litter in the gloom between the one in four functioning street lights.

Croydon is where the shreds of DNA from failed medical experiments is dumped. When the sun comes out it aggregates into citizens.

Well, from my reading, they haven't taken control of the government (yet).
From my reading, the narco gangs have scored a few high profile successes and are adept at picking off isolated cops and government functionaries but usually get the silver when federal forces arrive in strength.

I'd say it's more like a large version of South Armagh in the Troubles than an existential threat to the Mexican state.

From my reading, the narco gangs have scored a few high profile successes and are adept at picking off isolated cops and government functionaries but usually get the silver when federal forces arrive in strength.

I'd say it's more like a large version of South Armagh in the Troubles than an existential threat to the Mexican state.
Seems there a quite a few here who disagree with that assessment (see post 3).

Croydon is where the shreds of DNA from failed medical experiments is dumped. When the sun comes out it aggregates into citizens denizens.
Spellcheckers are a bitch, aren't they. Corrected it for you ...

Seems there a quite a few here who disagree with that assessment (see post 3).
To paraphrase Elwood P. Dowd, an element of disagreement is a good thing in a conversation, it shows everyone's taking an interest.

Apropos of nothing, he was too nice to call people cocks directly.

Its only a matter of time before septic troops are "Helping the authorities" of Mexico clean up and maintain order over their border, all with extreme prejudice. If they do not already have covert observers there already.
Why not, the Mexican military regularly open fire on the US Border Patrol across the border.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Ritch

LE
Verbatim what my response was when I saw this in New Threads.

I have the great misfortune to go to Cancun at least once a month. The air of menace about the place is palpable and we have recently moved hotels from the commercial district out to The Strip. Such sudden and explained moves are usually based on Need To Know from our Security Dept.

I hate the place. On the one hand it’s rammed with Yank teens who can buy a gun but not a beer back home so they come down mob handed and every bar is full of the “scream if you’re from Oklahoma” type cretin. Full of tequila. Walk outside for a bit of air and it’s all surly types looking shifty and wearing jackets in 40 degree heat and impoverished locals walking fast in the general direction of away.

Lots of Nissan pick ups loaded to the gunwales with hard looking types tooled up to the max with automatics, pistols and Kevlar. No idea where they go when it (frequently) kicks off.

Fly through Mexico City and look out for the matt black 727s with Polizia Federale painted down the side. Con Air eat your heart out.

Idyllic holiday spot all in all.
So ... You're not a fan? Hard to make out which side of the fence you're on. ;)

Latest Threads