Mexico (Cancun) May 2013

Discussion in 'Travel' started by cavemandave, Nov 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys... I am getting really excited to have booked my all inclusive holiday next year for 3 weeks in Cancun (11 May – 1st June 2013).

As this is my first time in Cancun, and travelling from the UK on my own, I'm just wondering if anyone has any good tips or advice for me? Things to do, places must see, how's the weather, Things to avoid, safety etc.

Slightly apprehensive about travelling on my own and would like to meet other people. I would love to get out about about to experience the local culture and history - I'm not the type who justs sits arse on a sun lounger in hotel resort for 3 weeks! :eek:)

Many thanks!

2. I have had the money changers try to take £'s and give the $ rate. Otherwise it was OK.

3. Well, you've picked the wrong place then.

4. Spoilsport. I wasn't going to tell him that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Heard it's best to change UK into Mexican $, rather than US$ - due to exchange rates being a better deal. Will keep an eye out for that one. Cheers

6. LOL... I just meant not for whole 3 weeks sat on the beach... Just want to split it up a bit with some visits of places of interest; Mayan ruins, natural activity parks etc :eek:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. LOL... I just meant not for whole 3 weeks sat on the beach... Just want to split it up a bit with some visits of places of interest; Mayan ruins, natural activity parks etc :eek:)

8. I've been to Cancun twice. It was full of Yank birds in itty bitty denim shorts who adore Brits and go "Gee, love your accent," even if you're a Scouser or Brummie.

The main place was Senior Frogs, which is open til about 2am, and also there's Dady O and Dady Rock. But there are loadsa smaller bars and clubs there.

Topless is allowed on the beaches, but Yank birds don't really do topless that much.

The ancient Mayan ruins of Chitchen Itza are worth a visit. If you look on the tourist maps, You'd think it was just out of town, but it's actually a 3 hour bus trip there.

There was a series of Geordie Shore filmed there last year, which is a more up to date picture of what Cancun is like.

9. Ahhh....Cancun.....3 spring breaks when in college.....not that I remember much of them. Too much alcohol and way too many girls to remember.:)

10. Remember not to set up a rival drugs cartel during your two week stay or you may find yourself sans genitalia, hanging from a flyover bridge with the footage posted on bestgore.com.

If you manage that then feel free to empty your DNA into lots of Californian women's throats & anuses.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I hired a jeep to go to Chitchen Itza and stayed at a couple of towns in the vicinity which was nice. The roads are dreadful so don't drive fast. several times I thought that we were going for a spin out in the countryside.

12. I would also add be careful otherwise he may loose his head!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mossie repellent, lots of. It's one big swamp (at the back )the further down the strip you go................................

14. there are some Mayan ruins actually in Cancun. Ask in your hotel. They are towards the airport end of the strip on the right and apparently rival Chichen Icha.

Use the local buses that run up and down the strip, IIRC fixed rate of 1 peso regardless of trip length. Stay out of the main town at the top end, very nasty. Watch the prices in the various shopping malls and watch out for the all you can eat places, there is ALWAYS small print!

Not sure if this still applies to tourists but still does for crew and certainly was for tourists too: They confiscate duty free inbound, getting it back is not easy. The whole ******* place is as bent as a bottle of chips.

The US teenies do lots of " Scream if you're from Kansas" type shit which gets wearing after a time. Then they pass out rather than put out as most of them go for the booze as they can pay with guns back home but run the risk of life in jail if they sneak one of Pop's ales. Go figure. they will all have more money than you. Pay more for your beer and preserve your eyesight, avoid Dos Equus.

Mozzie repellant and loperamide ( anti shits) essential.