Metric Internal Doors

muscat_diver

War Hero
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am looking for metric doors for my house renovation in Wales and would be grateful for your advice on where to look for the following. I am looking for internal doors in white with a 4 panel design or similar and of a weight that 'feels right' and not flimsy. 3 children in the house so sound attenuation important. I guess this means solid or semi-solid centre (grateful for advice)?

In addition I need Ogee style skirting (225mm or near) and architrave (say 100mm), ceilings are 2.4m and I have just put in plaster cornice so thinking taller skirting better..

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Non Fire doors - Standard Internal doors 2040 x 726 x 40mm
1 Top Floor Ensuite Bathroom 804 x2100 (726 leaf)
2 Top Floor Jack and Jill Bathroom 804 x2100 (726 leaf)
3 Ground Floor Under Stairs Cupboard 804 x 2100 (726 leaf)
Wide access door 2040 x 926 x 40
4 Ground Floor Bathroom 1004 x 2100 (926 Leaf)
Left & Right hand opening cupboard doors 2040 x 362 x 40
5 Ground Floor Store Cupboard 1004 x 2100 (2 x 362 leafs)
Fire Doors - Standard Internal 2040 x 726 x 45mm
6 Top Floor Master Bedroom 804 x 2100 (726 leaf) Fire door
7 Top Floor Matt Bedroom 804 x 2100 (726 leaf) Fire Door
8 Top Floor Lara Bedroom 804 x 2100 (726 leaf) Fire Door
9 Ground Floor Finn bedroom 804 x 2100 (726 leaf) Fire Door
Fire Doors - Wide access 2040 x 926 x x 45 mm
10 Ground Floor Pat bedroom 1004 x 2100 (926 leaf) Fire Door
Fire Door - Standard Half Glassed 2040 x 726 x 45mm
11 Ground Floor Utility 804 x 2100 (726 leaf) Fire Door (Half Glassed, clear)
2021-2-14 12.jpg
2021-2-14 13.jpg
2021-2-14 15.jpg
2021-2-14 16.jpg

ches

LE
Esp with heavier door sets make sure any chippy is fitting 3 hinges per leaf. Most of em chin it off to a measly 2 per leaf so cut costs. If you let em miss of the centre hinge the heavier doors will bow along their height pretty sharpish & cause drafts & as well as looking gash.

Awol

LE
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am looking for metric doors for my house renovation in Wales and would be grateful for your advice on where to look for the following. I am looking for internal doors in white with a 4 panel design or similar and of a weight that 'feels right' and not flimsy. 3 children in the house so sound attenuation important. I guess this means solid or semi-solid centre (grateful for advice)?

In addition I need Ogee style skirting (225mm or near) and architrave (say 100mm), ceilings are 2.4m and I have just put in plaster cornice so thinking taller skirting better..

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Non Fire doors - Standard Internal doors 2040 x 726 x 40mm
1 Top Floor Ensuite Bathroom 804 x2100 (726 leaf)
2 Top Floor Jack and Jill Bathroom 804 x2100 (726 leaf)
3 Ground Floor Under Stairs Cupboard 804 x 2100 (726 leaf)
Wide access door 2040 x 926 x 40
4 Ground Floor Bathroom 1004 x 2100 (926 Leaf)
Left & Right hand opening cupboard doors 2040 x 362 x 40
5 Ground Floor Store Cupboard 1004 x 2100 (2 x 362 leafs)
Fire Doors - Standard Internal 2040 x 726 x 45mm
6 Top Floor Master Bedroom 804 x 2100 (726 leaf) Fire door
7 Top Floor Matt Bedroom 804 x 2100 (726 leaf) Fire Door
8 Top Floor Lara Bedroom 804 x 2100 (726 leaf) Fire Door
9 Ground Floor Finn bedroom 804 x 2100 (726 leaf) Fire Door
Fire Doors - Wide access 2040 x 926 x x 45 mm
10 Ground Floor Pat bedroom 1004 x 2100 (926 leaf) Fire Door
Fire Door - Standard Half Glassed 2040 x 726 x 45mm
11 Ground Floor Utility 804 x 2100 (726 leaf) Fire Door (Half Glassed, clear)View attachment 550061View attachment 550062View attachment 550064View attachment 550065
Are doors getting taller? Standard height used to be 1981mm.

muscat_diver

War Hero
Esp with heavier door sets make sure any chippy is fitting 3 hinges per leaf. Most of em chin it off to a measly 2 per leaf so cut costs. If you let em miss of the centre hinge the heavier doors will bow along their height pretty sharpish & cause drafts & as well as looking gash.
Many thanks Ches, excellent advice. Much appreciated.

4(T)

LE
I did my whole house with Howdens fire doors. 6-panel in my case, but they do most styles. Each style comes in a range of sizes, and they all have up 50mm edge trimming possible to get custom fit.

Heavy, sound proof, look appropriate for the period.

Remember you need 25mm firestops these days to comply with fire regs.

Edit: Yes, definitely three or four decent quality hinges per door to take the weight.

Howden’s will have everything your after but you need an account or know someone with an account, and they deliver.

They don’t advertise the price you pay as (in my experience) it seems to depend on how active your account is, for instance if you have a joiner mate working for a company or himself that uses them all the time you’ll be paying less than a boy who uses them a couple of times a year.

What I will say is they will generally price match. I got them to come round to design a kitchen for me (free service) using my pals account and went in to choose the doors, tops, fittings etc and got a quote which was a lot more than I expected having used a different mates account previously.

Got a quote for a similar (less quality) kitchen from B&Q and spoke to them to see if they would move, as I hate building carcasses and theirs come ready built and also some internal doors and sliding wardrobe doors. Boy asked me to email my quote and then phones back and said he’d do it for the same price - result.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Wickes do ok fire doors. Their normal doors aren’t bad either but I’m guessing you want a bit upmarket.

B&Q is just shite.

I have used Lapeyre, in Calais, previously for timber products. Solid timber, especially oak is mucho cheaper to source from France. Compare a staircase quote in the UK at 2500 quid against 700 quid from Calais combined with some other shopping including booze and ciggies - well worth the weekend.

muscat_diver

War Hero
Howden’s will have everything your after but you need an account or know someone with an account, and they deliver.

They don’t advertise the price you pay as (in my experience) it seems to depend on how active your account is, for instance if you have a joiner mate working for a company or himself that uses them all the time you’ll be paying less than a boy who uses them a couple of times a year.

What I will say is they will generally price match. I got them to come round to design a kitchen for me (free service) using my pals account and went in to choose the doors, tops, fittings etc and got a quote which was a lot more than I expected having used a different mates account previously.

Got a quote for a similar (less quality) kitchen from B&Q and spoke to them to see if they would move, as I hate building carcasses and theirs come ready built and also some internal doors and sliding wardrobe doors. Boy asked me to email my quote and then phones back and said he’d do it for the same price - result.
Thanks Mick and 4(T). I have a Howdens account and have bought my kitchen and utility room units from them (being delivered today) as well as 72m2 of Engineered Wood and 72m2 of Rigid Luxury Vinyl Flooring. I sent my door list to the same chap at the local Branch but they were limited on what they could supply in metric sizes. I am still in discussion with them on options but looking for alternatives.

I am also looking for Ogee style skirting and architrave in 225mm and 100mm but drawing a blank at the moment. the best I can find is 170mm and 70mm. Currently looking into getting some machined. Many thanks for advice, much appreciated.

muscat_diver

War Hero
I have used Lapeyre, in Calais, previously for timber products. Solid timber, especially oak is mucho cheaper to source from France. Compare a staircase quote in the UK at 2500 quid against 700 quid from Calais combined with some other shopping including booze and ciggies - well worth the weekend.

Thanks Effendi, one I missed. I ordered my staircases in UK. 2 x staircases with oak treads, veneered risers, oak banisters and newel posts, total came to 3.8k. I also ordered matching oak cills for windows and balcony bifold doors. I shall use glass sides for the staircases as they go up the centre of the house and I want light to penetrate. The staircases use kites for one (GF to 1st) to turn 90 degrees and the upper (1st to 2nd) to turn 180 degrees. They should arrive today and will be fitted straight away as they are holding up work on top floor. There are two resin shower trays to get to top floor and each is a two man lift. The builders put in a step for the centre balcony bifold door but I need to follow up on the plan today as it could be a potential cold bridge unless insulated. New lead flashing added whilst replacing balcony doors.

2021-2-12 8.jpg
2021-2-12 13.jpg
2021-2-16.jpg
2021-2-5 1.jpg

Awol

LE
Thanks Mick and 4(T). I have a Howdens account and have bought my kitchen and utility room units from them (being delivered today) as well as 72m2 of Engineered Wood and 72m2 of Rigid Luxury Vinyl Flooring. I sent my door list to the same chap at the local Branch but they were limited on what they could supply in metric sizes. I am still in discussion with them on options but looking for alternatives.

I am also looking for Ogee style skirting and architrave in 225mm and 100mm but drawing a blank at the moment. the best I can find is 170mm and 70mm. Currently looking into getting some machined. Many thanks for advice, much appreciated.
I once fitted 250mm ogee skirting into every room in an old 17th century Manor House. It was all provided by a local joinery firm, but it was made in two pieces. The ogee part was a couple of inches high, and was simply fixed atop the second piece which was effectively just a normal carefully planed and sanded plank which was fixed to the wall first.

Once correctly fixed and decorated it was impossible to tell that it was two separate pieces.

muscat_diver

War Hero
I once fitted 250mm ogee skirting into every room in an old 17th century Manor House. It was all provided by a local joinery firm, but it was made in two pieces. The ogee part was a couple of inches high, and was simply fixed atop the second piece which was effectively just a normal carefully planed and sanded plank which was fixed to the wall first.

Once correctly fixed and decorated it was impossible to tell that it was two separate pieces.
Many thanks Awol, That is very useful. i will suggest it as an option to the firm who are pricing milling the planks as I guess it would be cheaper to source narrower planks. Once tooled up then running the architrave through the same set up should be straightforward. Will let you know how I get on.

The house was built in 1884 and sits directly above Penarth Docks. we took out all the original floors and saved the joists which were in good condition. They were 8" deep and a range of thicknesses. One local chap said that they may have been cut from old ships timbers stock. I want to mill some of the best to make a dining table top on a stainless steel frame and currently looking for a machine shop with a scanner to detect nails etc. The ceilings were lath and plaster so nail penetration was relatively short a(and rusted out) and the floorboards were all lifted with nail pullers. It will be interesting to see whether this side project is viable.

Thanks Effendi, one I missed. I ordered my staircases in UK. 2 x staircases with oak treads, veneered risers, oak banisters and newel posts, total came to 3.8k. I also ordered matching oak cills for windows and balcony bifold doors. I shall use glass sides for the staircases as they go up the centre of the house and I want light to penetrate. The staircases use kites for one (GF to 1st) to turn 90 degrees and the upper (1st to 2nd) to turn 180 degrees. They should arrive today and will be fitted straight away as they are holding up work on top floor. There are two resin shower trays to get to top floor and each is a two man lift. The builders put in a step for the centre balcony bifold door but I need to follow up on the plan today as it could be a potential cold bridge unless insulated. New lead flashing added whilst replacing balcony doors.

View attachment 550215View attachment 550213View attachment 550214View attachment 550212
That looks just like one of my projects.

Good luck with it all:)

Many thanks Awol, That is very useful. i will suggest it as an option to the firm who are pricing milling the planks as I guess it would be cheaper to source narrower planks. Once tooled up then running the architrave through the same set up should be straightforward. Will let you know how I get on.

The house was built in 1884 and sits directly above Penarth Docks. we took out all the original floors and saved the joists which were in good condition. They were 8" deep and a range of thicknesses. One local chap said that they may have been cut from old ships timbers stock. I want to mill some of the best to make a dining table top on a stainless steel frame and currently looking for a machine shop with a scanner to detect nails etc. The ceilings were lath and plaster so nail penetration was relatively short a(and rusted out) and the floorboards were all lifted with nail pullers. It will be interesting to see whether this side project is viable.

If you buy a good quality handheld metal/pipe/wire detectors you can save yourself the cost of having someone do it - but thats me, I'm so tight I squeek when I walk.