Method of Instruction. Mnemonics help please!

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by EX_STAB, Mar 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Back in the day I recall using a mnemonic for the things that you needed to include in your INTRO to a lesson or lecture. The mnemonic was I.N.T.R.O

Interest. (I.E get the class's interest)
    Need to know. (explain why they need to know what you are going to teach them)
    T....... (Can't remember!)
    Revision. (briefly revise previous lessons with the class to make sure they were up to speed)
    Objective (Describe what they should have learned by the end of the lesson.

Can anyone remind me what the "T" stood for? I've completely forgotten!
  2. Please! Anybody?
  3. T for Tea and biccies.
  4. T for Take a nominal roll?
  5. T is for TITS out!!, if you have a female audience!
  6. Seriously could it be T for topic/title?

Tell 'em what they are going to do?
  7. Must be! Blindingly obvious now you've said it! I'd put a title at the top of my notes so I'd been thinking - "no, can't be that, already got that...."

Cheers matey!
  8. I = Interest
    N = Need
    T = Title (display)
    R = Range (Question/note policy, outline of lesson content)
    O = Objective (Aims, state & display).

Alternatively bin the above DIT shit and stick to the old fashioned, more simplified way:

Check Kit
    Anything Else/Additional Tasks/Info (i.e. Question/note policy)
    Introduction (Reason Why, Incentive & Aim)

What matters is the content and delivery of the 'meat' (middle/development) of your lesson, not some fancy DIT/ETS/RAF/Navy way of doing lesson prelims.
  9. The acronyms should only be a guide anyway; never to teach verbatim, otherwise your lesson becomes a series of disjointed paragraphs with little continuity and your audience goes to sleep. Just use them to check that everything that should be there is there, preferably in order, but so that it flows.
    I find the best way of achieving that is by the old method; it's a logical order, and you can't be faulted for giving a perfect lesson even if it is based on an old method.