Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone here explain to me and anybody else thats interested what the "METHANE" system of reporting is? I am sure I used to know but alas the old brain recall system isn't what it used to be.

2. is this a waah? hmmmmm

3. No METHANE is used to report something but being a techie I can't remember it!!!!

4. At the risk of looking a geek! hey whats new

Mass Incident declared/standby
    Exact location
    Type of incident
    Hazards
    Access and egress
    Number and severity of casualties
    Emergency services present and required

5. No it wasn't a Wah. Thanks McVicker but seems to have been in vain - I have, since posting, been told it is no longer used!

6. That could be true Badger, but I attended a lecture last week given by one the co-ordinators for Mass Medical Incidents within the West Midlands and he still spoke about methane and cscat reports?

7. Just a quick update! METHANE is still taught and used extensively, although in the Military we utilise it for all incidents on Operations. Spooky old thing is that we have a MIMS course on this week where METHANE is not only taught but utilised for Ex purposes!

Although the "M" is used to represent major incident standby or declared in civilian scenarios. :wink: Lets be honest a mass casualty scenario means your about to be seriously overwhelmed in a major conflict scenario and "radical" Triage is about to be utilised.

8. wow Spirit, youre so knowledgable, its as though you teach it!! ;)

McVicker you should be ashamed of yourself, youre bringing your trade into disrepute by remembering such things!!!!

9. Sorry to tread on your professional toes, but we thickies in the Ops Room tend to take the M element of METHANE as standing for My callsign. That way we know who's involved, and we can use the (thoroughly helpful) acronym as an aide memoire in any casualty situation, no matter how small the numbers of cas or how light the injuries.
    That's probably utterly counter to RAMC/QARANC doctrine, but it works for us! So apologies and gratitude in equal measure.
    Promise not to trespass again, or to get so serious.
    Yours aye,

10. There's a doctrine?

11. Sorry Filbert, although in true techie style I can remember the acronym but do not have the common sense to know when to use it

12. Sorry to tread on your professional toes, but we thickies in the Ops Room tend to take the M element of METHANE as standing for My callsign. That way we know who's involved

But when you call in the report wouldnt you give your callsign as a matter of course?

13. McV,
    You would of course give your callsign, but it would be in the log on the watchkeeper/signaller's desk, rather than written in 72 point font on the whiteboard at the side of the Ops room. And anyway, we had to think of SOMETHING that we could use the M for, otherwise we'd be stuck with ETHANE as an acronym, and we'd never manage that - most of us failed chemisty O-level or we wouldn't be in the army!

14. Yes.

It's why the Defence Medical Services are in such a mess.

15. That's what we like to see, the very foundations upon which the doctrine is built -

people just making it all up as they go along! :lol: