Meteorolgy

masher69

Old-Salt
Back in the day when you could join up as a Meteorologist how long was the course and was it as intense as the RN meteorology course. Also what happened to all those in the meteorology branch when it ceased to be a gunner trade

Didn't know that the gunners had metroolojidtdss weathermen, I knew the RAF had them.

ABNredleg

Old-Salt
Didn't know that the gunners had metroolojidtdss weathermen, I knew the RAF had them.
US Army still has a field artillery meteorology MOS. Their main task is flying weather balloons to calculate winds aloft.

When I joined the RAF in 1974 the met men were all civilian both forecasters and observers.

chimera

LE

ABNredleg

Old-Salt

chimera

LE
You need wind direction and speed for every 500 meters of altitude for fire control calculations.
Sliding scale on right of the chart with "wind" option selected gives wind speeds and predictions for every 500m from surface to FL 450 (probably high enough even for the biggest rocket). Select a point, and use the compare option, you will have four different observation and prediction models. Balloons are so last year.

ABNredleg

Old-Salt
Sliding scale on right of the chart with "wind" option selected gives wind speeds and predictions for every 500m from surface to FL 450 (probably high enough even for the biggest rocket). Select a point, and use the compare option, you will have four different observation and prediction models. Balloons are so last year.
Until the Internet goes down. Certain critical capabilities will always need to be retained. That’s why the US Army FA also retains a survey capability - GPS may not be available in a major war.

Until the Internet goes down. Certain critical capabilities will always need to be retained. That’s why the US Army FA also retains a survey capability - GPS may not be available in a major war.
Here ya go...
weather-stone.jpg

Ask this guy, ex RN Meteorologist, but just retired. Cracking sense of humour.

PFGEN

GCM
Old man was an RAF met man. The gunners invited him out for a nice day at the seaside. Wasn't quite what he had in mind when he discovered that Jerry wasn't keen on sharing the beach. One of his many task was calculating ballistic winds. These measurements were then turned into data that the gun layer could use to adjust the rangefinder. Disadvantage in all this was the it had to be performed rather close to the enemy lines where letting off a ballon was seen as a bit of a give away. The gunners also had them perform sound ranging of the enemy artillery.

He was part of the meteorological unit of the 2nd tactical Air Force attached to the 51st Highland division HQ Royal Artillery.

chimera

LE
That's cool. But you are from the US - you own GPS. My link to Windyty was simply to show that things have moved on a lot in the forecasting world, and that one is a freebie in the public domain. Needless to say Government owned assets (The Met Office in the UK, and I am sure US equivalents) bang out this stuff routinely.

I guess that all of your field artillery retain the theodolites and survey capability necessary to accurately postition each gun in places where you may not necessarily have MGRS mapping, and that all of your Gunner OPs can knock out a quick skew-t based on a couple of locally made balloon observations?

Out of interest, with the range of modern artillery systems, how you calculate meteo wind on the other side of the FLOT?

BTW the British Army also has a pretty joined up survey capability, but we have chosen not to trust it to the Gunners!

Last edited:

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Out of interest, with the range of modern artillery systems, how you calculate meteo wind on the other side of the FLOT?

!
Used to be the case that the met message was considered valid for a radius from its origin. That is probably still true. Before I left (25 years ago), I remember a conference investigating an aspiration to near instantaneous met correction. There were possibilities but everything involved some active system and so was rejected for EW reasons

Latest Threads