Meteor shower tonight

I thought it meant that a WW2 jet fighter fell on you,

Ever seen Day Of The Triffids ? That's why I make a point of never watching meteor showers

Spanny said:
Ever seen Day Of The Triffids ? That's why I make a point of never watching meteor showers
Ever seen Carrie?

There's bugger all wrong watching (those sort of) showers.

tropper66 said:
No, just their pilots ...

You needn't worry, though. The good old British weather will ensure that you are not subjected to sight of the Lilliputian kinetic energy weapon attack.

They know, you know. Clouds. I can hear them giggling. They always turn up just when I don't want them. :evil: But I've got them beat this time. I shall wear my special anti-telepathy hat so they won't know when I go out to observe. Bwoo, hah, hah, hah - Foiled you this time, my stratocumulitic friends :twisted:

When I was very young a Meteor fell on the pub down the road for my house, killed the pilot

mistersoft said:
Spanny said:
Ever seen Carrie?

What you like watching schoolgirls in showers ? Can the mods please trace mistersofts ISP address and then inform the authorities :wink:

tropper66 said:
Right, let's get pedantic. A Meteor burns up in the upper levels of the atmosphere... a Meteorite is one that hits the ground, therefore if a Meteor landed on you it would have to be a meteorite....

TAXI!!!!!!

Spanny said:
mistersoft said:
Spanny said:
Ever seen Carrie?

What you like watching schoolgirls in showers ? Can the mods please trace mistersofts ISP address and then inform the authorities :wink:
Err........ I was referring to the film. :lol:

Honest. :oops:

Spanny said:
mistersoft said:
Spanny said:
Ever seen Carrie?

Amateur!..should be in the shower with schoolgirls...thats something worth informing!!

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
tropper66 said:
When I was very young a Meteor fell on the pub down the road for my house, killed the pilot
bet it didnt do the pub any favours, either.

Negligent-Discharge said:
tropper66 said:
Right, let's get pedantic. A Meteor burns up in the upper levels of the atmosphere... a Meteorite is one that hits the ground, therefore if a Meteor landed on you it would have to be a meteorite....

TAXI!!!!!!

Not when it is a WW2 aircraft 8O

maguire said:
tropper66 said:
bet it didnt do the pub any favours, either.
One hell of a patio heater.

as this said tonight, i've been outside with me beer watching and wondering why i keep seeing hercs going to imber, i've now read this and the links properly and it's not till tomorrow! damn i'm thick! should have read it first

Negligent-Discharge said:
tropper66 said:

TAXI!!!!!!
Not if you were in space.
Hah!
Amateur pedants.

Lyra and Cygnus overhead, clear sky with even episilon Lyrae seperable and Jupited blazing brightly on the southern horizon, Galilean satellites nicely visible through binoculars (I even saw a bat flit across my field of view and occult the planet). Gibbous Moon off the to ESE, the bright spot of Aristarchus standing out and the terminator slashing through Mare Serenitatis.

Perseus, of course, was covered in vapour trails, murk ... and clouds. Somebody wasn't wearing their tin-foil hat. :evil:

Excognito said:
Lyra and Cygnus overhead, clear sky with even episilon Lyrae seperable and Jupited blazing brightly on the southern horizon, Galilean satellites nicely visible through binoculars (I even saw a bat flit across my field of view and occult the planet). Gibbous Moon off the to ESE, the bright spot of Aristarchus standing out and the terminator slashing through Mare Serenitatis.

Eh?

auscam said:
Excognito said:

Eh?
Lyra and Cygnus are two easily recognizable constellations - their respectively brightest stars (Vega and Deneb) stand out quite nicely in the overhead and, together with Altair in Aquilla, form the 'summer triangle'. ε Lyrae (epsilon of Lyra) is a faint, very close double-double star (ie, a pair of binary stars).

(mong spelling apart) Jupiter is low on the southern horizon in the late evening - can't miss it, it's the brightest "star" in the sky. Have a look through a pair of reasonable binoculars and you will see 4 bright dots in a line on either side of the planet. These are the satellites that Galileo first observed - hence the name.

The Moon is waning at the moment (moving from full to new) but still somewhere between full and half, which is referred to as being gibbous (between half and new, it's referred to as crescent). The teminator is line dividing 'night' and 'day' on the Moon. Mare Serenitatis (latin for sea of serentity) is a lava flood plain. Aristarchus is a large crater, which at the moment is catching the Sunlight very nicely, giving the appearance of a very bright spot - again, best observed through binoculars.